Chapter Eight- Drills

Tanaka, Hinata, and Kageyama were already in the gym when (Y/n) and Suga arrived. The nets had been set up and the three boys were practicing receives.

Hinata looked over at the two third years as the entered the gym, running over to them excitedly. "Good morning Sugawara- senpai and..." The boy paused, looking over at Tanaka, who nodded.

  "Coach (Y/n)!" (Y/n) smiled, patting Hinata's head as a way of saying good morning back to the first year. She walked past him, heading over to the bench and laying down.

  Suga tilted his head in confusion. "(Y/n)? Aren't you going to help with practice?" He asked, setting his bag down in the corner of the gym.

  "I'll observe from here for a little bit. I'll join in at the end." (Y/n) mumbled, shooing the boy away. She watched as the four boys practiced, observing their receives, sets, and spikes.

Finally, after about half an hour, (Y/n) stood up from the bench, raising her arms above her head to stretch while she let out a yawn. She took off her sweatpants and hoodie, leaving her in her t-shirt and shorts.

  "Nice of you to finally join us (Y/n)!" Tanaka said. mocking the girl slightly, though he quickly shut up when the girl shot him a glare. "It's 5:30 in the morning Tanaka. This is the one time you really don't want to test me."

  Tanaka nodded, before grabbing a volleyball off of the ground and went back to practicing with Kageyama. (Y/n) began stretching, loosening up her muscles before she actually got on the court.

  Meanwhile, Hinata turned to Suga. "(Y/n)'s kind of scary when she's mad, isn't she Suga?" He asked the third year, who laughed at the question.

"She's best friends with Daichi and you saw how he was the other day, so what do you expect? Daichi brings out the leadership and intimidation out of (Y/n) and she brings out the fun side of Daichi." Suga explained, smiling as he remembered all the times he's watched the pair argue in childish manners.

Hinata smiled. "So kind of like me and Kageyama, except they actually like each other!" The first year exclaimed. Suga nodded, before he saw (Y/n) walking towards him out of the corner of his eye.

Suga and Hinata turned to face their temporary coach, who yawned for what seemed like the tenth time in the past 20 minutes.

  "Hinata can you show me your stance that you would use to receive?" She asked the first year, her voice still sounded tired even though she had technically been awake for over an hour now.

  (Y/n) watched as Hinata bent his knees and brought his arms forward awkwardly. "Okay first off, you need to stand lighter on your feet. Don't plant them completely or you won't be able to move quickly when a ball is coming at you."

Hinata readjusted his footing and (Y/n) smiled. She then walked to the other side of the court and tossed the ball over the net, making it so that Hinata would have to run for it.

Within a split second, the first year was diving for the ball, and even though he missed it, he had been a lot closer than earlier. "That's progress!" (Y/n) exclaimed, before turning to Suga. "How many more days is Noya on suspension for? It would be a lot easier if he was here."

"A week or so I think, but there's no guarantee he's actually coming back, especially if Asahi is out too." Suga explained, making (Y/n)'s smile falter. "So what you're saying is that these dimwits our the only hope this team has?"

  Suga shrugged and (Y/n) sighed, before picking up the ball that she had thrown earlier. "Then they better win tomorrow so we actually have a team to begin with."

(Y/n) handed the ball to Suga and walked over to the attack line. "Have you practiced spiking for your match tomorrow?" The girl asked Hinata, who shook his head.

"No, I've mostly been working on receives. Besides, it's not like that idiot Kageyama is even going to pass to me during the match." Hinata grumbled, glaring in the other first year boys direction.

  (Y/n) rolled her eyes. "Who cares if he said he isn't going to pass to you? Chances are that he's not going to have a choice when actually playing the game. So let's practice spiking for last hour we have."

Just then, Hinata's eyes lit up. "Yeah okay!" He exclaimed. (Y/n) smiled, walking over to the back of the court. "I don't know if you've done this drill in the past, so I guess Suga and I will show you how to do it."

  Suga tossed the ball in the air for (Y/n) to receive. Leaning forward, (Y/n)'s arms made solid contact with the ball, bumping it into the air just high enough that Suga was able to react.

  The third year boy set it into the air as (Y/n) jumped up to spike, slamming it onto the other side of the net.

  As she completed the swing of her arm, (Y/n) felt a twinge of pain in her shoulder, enough pain to make her grit her teeth but nothing more. (Y/n) smiled at the feeling though. "I forgot how fun that was!" She exclaimed, catching the attention of Tanaka and Kageyama.

  "That was a good spike (Y/n)!" Tanaka shouted from the other side of the net. (Y/n) laughed awkwardly. "Right? Pretty decent since it's been over a year!"

  Suga smiled. "Just make sure to take it easy okay? We don't want you hurting yourself again." (Y/n) raised an eyebrow. "Jeez, first Daichi and now you? Of course I want to play, but not so much that i'm going to need that stupid physical therapy."

  What the girl said seemed to have shut Suga up, so she looked to Hinata instead. "Does how the drill work make sense?" She asked, and Hinata nodded eagerly.

(Y/n) smiled. "Then let's get practicing!"

———————————————————————————

I just spent ten minutes crying over a minecraft fish thanks to the glorious piece of shit we call Wilbur Soot.

Yea you heard it here first folks. The author of this book spends their Fridays sitting in the bathtub drinking rootbeer (I DONT EVEN FUCKING LIKE ROOTBEER) while crying over a block fish and writing about fictional characters