1

Saiki had a lot of friends.

Even if he didn't want to admit it, they were his friends.

Some friends are very...Special.

"Hello Kusuo-kun! Good morning! Y'know, I don't get to see you in school very often because your friends are always crowding around you. It is a bit odd that they always hang around you even though you are very quiet. But I can't blame them since you were the same in elementary school, but we were still the best of friends! I remember that one time..."

'Ugh.' Saiki groaned. He thought he would be used to Akechi's chatter by now, but with his thoughts overlapping his speech, it still annoys him. Another thing that annoyed him was that he called them best friends. They weren't best friends, they just knew each other back then. Saiki didn't have a best friend, and he never will. After all, he didn't need or want a best friend. He didn't even need his current friends. They were annoying, and they would never leave him alone. And what was worse was when the girls wouldn't leave him alone. He could tolerate "friends" but romance was one thing he couldn't stand.

Knowing people's true nature is one of the curses of an ESPer. It's sort of an invasion of privacy, but it's not like I can control it. I don't like when Akechi goes off on his tangents, but I'll have to deal with it.

"It looks like your friends are coming, Kusuo-kun." Akechi placed his hand on Saiki's shoulder. He flinched.

'What are you doing?'

Akechi took his hand off. "What do you mean? Did I say something wrong?"

A few moments of silence passed.

'Never mind...'

Saiki always felt a bit uncomfortable when Nendou hugged him or touched him without permission. It was the same with Akechi... Right?

"Saiki!" Kaidou yelled. He was with Kuboyasu and Nendou.

Good grief. The gang's all here.

At least it was only the guys. Teruhashi is such a nuisance.

Nendou called out to Saiki. "Hey partner! We were gonna go get some ramen, but the shop is closed today. We're going to the arcade instead. Bring your friend!"

Kaidou seemed exasperated. "You idiot! I already told you that the arcade is not a substitute for food! Also, we never said we would go!"

Kubuyasu joined in. "Shun, calm down. There's no point in arguing. Plus, we have nothing better to do. You coming, Saiki?"

'No, I'm busy with homework.'

"Hm? Well we wouldn't mind helping you. Right guys?"

'No, I'm fine.'

They left without bothering to invite Akechi. They disliked his talkative nature, and you could obviously see the annoyance on their faces when Nendou invited him. Akechi was used to being excluded, so he brushed it off.

It still bothered Saiki that they did that.

At home, Saiki finished his homework in ten minutes.

I should start thinking of a better excuse. They might get suspicious if I always say I have homework.

His parents were both out of the house. His mom was buying groceries and his dad was meeting with the mangaka. He had the house to himself, so he had his ring on.

He heard a knock on the door. To his surprise, it was Akechi.

'What are you doing here? I told you I had homework.'

"Really Kusuo-kun, I know you better than that. You told me you could easily finish your work with your powers. Besides, I saw light through the window. Normally, I would assume it's simply the light in your bedroom, but it flickered, so I knew you were already finished and was watching television. Accounting for the time it took you to answer the door, you turned off the TV and walked from your bedroom to the door. It was really easy to figure out. We were best friends after all, so I-"

'Why do you always call me that?'

"Whatever do you mean?"

'We're not best friends."

"I know you didn't consider me as close as I might have, but you have always been my closest friend. I hope you understand that you were very important to me then, and still are now."

...

'It's fine.'

"Oh I'm so glad you're not upset, Kusuo-kun. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. Would you mind if I came inside?"