8

Saiki came back to school the next day. When asked where he'd been by Toritsuka and Aiura, he replied that he had a cold. His friends were glad to have him back in school, free to bother him once again.

He still made sure to sniffle a couple times to seal the deal.

That was a close call. Thank God Teruhashi thought I was sick. I hope she's forgotten about what she heard.

Right now, Saiki's worries went away because Teruhashi was focused on making sure she knew all the first years' names.

Tsubaki, she's in class four? Yeah, class four. Then there's Kinata...

He let out a sigh of relief and continued listening to the teacher.

***************************************************************

Teruhashi sat at her desk in her room. She tapped her chin like she did when she was deep in thought.

I could've sworn I heard Akechi at Saiki's house. I wouldn't forget his voice, it never stops! Geez, he's so annoying, I hate it when he hangs around Saiki. I can't get a word in edgewise! How can I make him say offu if I can't ever talk to him?

She blinked in surprise.

Come to think of it, he does hang around Saiki a lot. I thought it's because they were close when they were small. Saiki does seem a bit more tolerant of him. Why? Are they really best friends or something? Does Saiki have a best friend? Why Akechi? He's so annoying, why does Saiki tolerate him so much? They have seemed closer since the weekend. I wonder why? He must-

"Guess who?"

Makoto stood above her, his hands over her eyes.

"Makoto! I told-"

"Yes, yes, you told me to knock. But the door was open, and how would I surprise you if I knocked?"

"Ugh! Just knock next time, okay?"

"Anything you say, sis!"

He walked out of her room.

I bet she was thinking about that stupid four-eyes again! It's no surprise he's in love with her. She's a goddess, after all. He must know by now that a peasant can't marry a queen!

He laughed to himself.

Teruhashi sighed and turned off her lamp. She laid in her bed.

I'll investigate tomorrow at school.

***************************************************************

Akechi loved Saiki because he made him feel safe. He never felt sad or uneasy with him around. The world felt at peace when he was around. He felt as if he was flying, to a place where no one could hurt him, and where he felt loved, even if Saiki rarely showed it.

Saiki loved Akechi because he understood him; he accepted everything about him. Even if "everything about him" was, well, psychic powers. He also loved that he didn't have to admit that he loved him. Akechi knew. He was perfectly happy to let Akechi wash his love over him.

That's why neither of them particularly enjoyed school.

A building full of people separated them. Akechi was more bothered by this than Saiki. Saiki hated attention, so it was worth it for him. Akechi didn't care, so he was always a bit upset when he saw Saiki with his friends. Not only were none of them right for Saiki, but more time with them was less time with him. It was like a wall between them. He put up with it, and kept his mouth shut, even though it was hard. He'd still regularly instigate conversation.

But talking was viewed as "normal".

"Normal" doesn't attract attention.

Akechi was a brilliant observer; enough to immediately notice Teruhasi's not-so-subtle crush on Saiki.

He didn't like it.

Not one bit. He had been called insensitive so many times, so he restrained himself from simply going up to her and yelling nasty things at her.

He was not interested in sharing Saiki.

***************************************************************

Teruhasi's suspicions drove her to seek out Akechi.

With my charm, I'm sure I can get answers out of him. With the way he reacted on his first day, he should easily bend to my will!

There were three types of people who did not swoon and gasp at Teruhashi; people who see through her, people who have pure eyes, and people who are already in love with another.

Unfortunately for her, Akechi filled several, if not all of the categories.

Akechi was sitting at his desk. He was anticipating Teruhasi's questioning. He had to tell himself over and over again to not confess his love for Saiki to her.

I need to get her off our backs.

"Akechi-kun! Hello! How are you?"

He almost rolled his eyes.

"I'm good."

"I was just wondering, you and Saiki-kun are friends, right?"

He scoffed.

"Not exactly," he mumbled.

He didn't mean for her to hear him.

"What do you mean by that?" She raised her eyebrows.

"Are you guys best friends or something? You seem really close." She twirled her hair through her hands, trying to seem as cute as possible.

Pathetic.

"Well, I wouldn't say we're best friends."

"So, what are you guys?"

"Our relationship is... different. I don't expect you to understand."

She almost gasped.

Does he dare to underestimate me? I'm not only beautiful, but I'm smart too!

"I'll understand! What do you mean?"

Akechi hesitated.

"Let's just say we're very special friends. Now if you'll excuse me, class is about to start."

It took every ounce of his willpower not to tell her something nasty. He wanted to tell her so badly, so she would let them be, but he kept his composure, for Saiki's sake.

She walked away, dissatisfied with her progress.

Akechi sighed. He didn't know how much longer he could've kept that up.