6

It was Monday morning. Akechi and Saiki had both been mentally preoccupied the entire weekend. When they arrived at school, things became a bit awkward.

Akechi had overslept and was late. He was never late. He ran frantically through the halls, until he bumped into someone and fell down.

"Sorry, I was late, so I was-"

"Kusuo-kun!?"

Saiki looked down at him and reached out his arm to help him up.

Akechi blushed and looked away before grabbing his hand. Both were reminded of that afternoon.

"G-good m-morning, Kusuo-kun. How are you doing? Today I was running a late, literally and figuratively. I apologize. I overslept a bit today, and I couldn't find my bag, which was odd, because I always knew where my things were. It was rather unusual, but I still found it fairly easily. It was-"

'You don't sound like someone who's late, Touma.'

Akechi gasped and bowed his head down.

"S-sorry..."

They both walked to class. Akechi was still flustered from their encounter. He found it difficult to concentrate on the teacher. Saiki repeatedly reminded him to focus, but couldn't blame him. He was distracted too.

He focused as hard as he could on his thoughts, but still couldn't hear more than his name, and "love".

Love was something foreign to Saiki. He would learn to grow accustomed to it, for Akechi's sake.

As soon as school ended, they were greeted by their friends. Kaidou, Kuboyasu, Nendo, Hairo, and Teruhashi all ran over to them.

"Saiki!"

"Hey, Saiki!"

"Come on, let's walk home together!"

"Bring the other pipsqueak!"

Everyone groaned.

Akechi looked up at Saiki; his expression softened.

"Alright."

As they were walking home, Akechi made sure that they were walking behind everyone. Once he was sure everyone was distracted, he slowly grabbed Saiki's hand and smiled. He squeezed his hand softly while everyone else was busy chatting.

Kaidou looked back for a second to confirm they were still there.

Yeah, they're still there- wait, were they holding hands?!

Kaidou looked back again to see them walking, Saiki picking at his nails, and Akechi checking his phone.

I must have seen something wrong. It was a mistake.

'That was close. Too close. Be more careful, please.'

Sorry, I checked before, but I guess I was wrong.

Saiki sighed and kissed him on the forehead; after double checking, of course.

Teruhashi looked back this time after hearing Akechi giggle.

Am I hearing things? I must have been. They're both completely calm.

After she looked away, Akechi smirked and looked up at Saiki. He sighed and smiled. He smiled the most at Akechi, and he always appreciated it, even if it was hardly noticeable.

Finally, the last of his friends had gone home, leaving him and Akechi alone at last.

"Wow, your friends talk more than I do. I thought they would never leave! It was getting rather annoying, to be honest. Of course, normally I'd enjoy the company, but I think I'd prefer spending time with you. It's a good thing they left. Now you and I can be alone!"

Akechi moved towards him and leaned on him as they walked. Saiki held his hand and twirled his fingers in between Akechi's.

After a few minutes, they made it to Akechi's house.

"Kusuo-kun, I don't want to go home yet. Can I go with you?"

Saiki nodded and continued to walk with him leaning against him. Even in the summer, he found his presence and warmth comforting. They reached his house and separated from each other.

'My mom is a bit suspicious that something's up, but she doesn't know what. Try not to do anything until we get to my room.'

Akechi frowned a bit, but nodded soon after.

They were greeted by Kurumi on their way in.

"Hello, Ku-chan! You brought a friend! It's nice to see you, Akechi-kun!"

Saiki groaned a bit at her excitement.

Saiki pulled Akechi by his sleeve into his room, warranting a nervous gasp. Kurumi looked a bit confused.

Saiki pulled him in and closed the door.

'So what do you want to do?'

...

"I have to admit, I didn't think this far.'

Saiki sighed and laid down on the bed. Akechi sat down next to him.

Saiki closed his eyes while Akechi looked down at him. He leaned down to hug him, hoping he wouldn't get rejected. To his surprise, Saiki pulled him on top of him gently and let him rest there.

Moments like this are what made their relationship special.

****************************************************************************

"Ku? You forgot your bag-"

His mother opened the door to find both of them asleep together. Akechi was clinging to Saiki, who had one hand on his head, and another wrapped around him.

She cooed happily and ran to get his father.

"Kuniharu! Come see! It's the cutest thing I've ever seen!"

She tried not to speak too loudly to keep them asleep.

"What? What is it-"

"Oh."

They stood in the doorway to see them entwined on Saiki's bed.

They looked at each other, remembering how they were when they were young, and smiled.