4

Akechi was busy laying out all the ingredients and utensils when the doorbell rang.

He dropped a metal bowl to answer the door, which made a large "clang".

What was that noise? I wonder if he's okay. Did he hurt himself? Maybe I should check on hi-

"Kusuo-kun! Kusuo-kun, hi! Hello! Good afternoon! Hi! How are you doing?"

It's been ten seconds and I'm already making a fool out of myself...

What was with the five greetings? He seems nervous for some reason...

"I see you brought strawberries. I'm so glad! I bought gelatin for the occasion. I have coffee, so we should be able to make coffee jelly! I'm so happy you came! Honestly, I was a little worried that you wouldn't come, because of your initial response, but I'm relieved you did. Come on in! Everything is ready."

Since he knew he wouldn't be able to concentrate on his teachings if he could hear his thoughts, Saiki wore his ring, hoping it wouldn't be a mistake.

He hesitantly walked inside.

He saw all the materials laid out. Flour, chocolate, sugar, coffee, about 5 bowls, a few whisks and spoons, and a plethora of various baking materials he'd never used, let alone seen before.

He could already taste it.

"So, I thought we could make the cake while the coffee jelly is in the fridge. It would be the most convenient option, so that we can have plenty of time to enjoy the sweets. My mother is not home right now, and won't be for another six hours. Meanwhile, there's this recipe I found..."

I doubt he'll stay that long. I bet he'll leave after he's done eating.

Akechi carefully measured out the flour and the sugar. Saiki grabbed the measuring cup from his hand and dumped the contents into the bowl. Flour flew up onto their clothes and faces. Saiki coughed and groaned. Akechi tried to keep a straight face for his sake.

Saiki rolled his eyes and groaned again.

As much as he tried to stop it, Akechi burst out into laughter.

He looks so funny! He must be so annoyed at me right now...

Saiki had never heard Akechi laugh before; especially not so loud. He felt his face grow warm, which made him grateful for the flour.

Akechi had felt his face burning too.

"Oh Kusuo-kun, it's so nice to see you smile every once in a while."

Smiling? No, he must be lying. I don't smile at stuff like this. I didn't smile. He probably couldn't see my face, what with all the flour.

Once Akechi regained his composure, they wiped the flour off their faces and continued to scoop sugar into the bowl.

Saiki looked at the lumpy mess in the bowl while Akechi was digging through a drawer.

This is cake? Ew. I don't know if I want to eat it anymore.

Akechi could tell he was a bit grossed out, so he decided to reassure him.

"I know what you're thinking, but we still need to mix it. Usually, a stand mixer is used due to its convenience, but I own a hand mixer. I believe it works just as well, and it is definitely easier to clean. Now, a stand mixer has one blade, while a hand mixer has two, so one could of course, make the opposite argument, but I- "

He looked back at Saiki.

"Oh. That works too."

Saiki had used his powers to mix the batter with a whisk in about five seconds.

Akechi blushed and put the mixer back. Even after the dramatic demonstration of his powers, Akechi still forgot about them occasionally.

Saiki picked up a spatula and started to scoop the batter into the cake tin.

He was setting the bowl down when he felt something touch his face. He looked down to see Akechi wiping some batter off his cheek. He felt an odd sensation in the pit of his stomach.

Akechi saw his face and realized what he was doing.

"S-sorry, y-you had s-some batter on you..."

Akechi blushed and looked away.

Saiki almost did the same.

It was silent for a few moments while they put the cake in the oven and set the timer.

Once they had cleaned up, they both stood there awkwardly. Neither of them really knew how to recover from that.

"S-so, uh, do you want to go to my room?"

Saiki nodded.

That was awkward. Why would he do that? And why didn't I say something?

Akechi's house was fairly small compared to his, and so was his room.

It was more or less what he expected.

There were two tall bookshelves filled with books and papers. His bed was neatly made, with a small teddy bear sitting on the pillows. A small action figure was stuck between the shelves. It was Cyborg Ciderman #2. Saiki almost scoffed. There was a small nightstand with a glass of water and a few pens. There were no decorations or posters. His room was more plain than Saiki would've guessed.

Since there were no chairs, they both sat on the bed.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Akechi stuff the bear between the sheets, attempting to hide it.

"Do you like my room? It is a bit plain, but I know you like plain things. I believe it is rather cozy. I usually sit here to think. I've been thinking a lot lately..."

Thinking about what? Is this why he's been acting differently? What is he-

Saiki's thoughts were interrupted as Akechi grabbed his hand and kissed him softly on the cheek.