2: BRAND NEW TIRES

On Monday night I received a text message from Esther,
"I HATE HIM!" she said in the text; it took me a second to fully understand what she meant at first but I quickly came to realize what was up given the conversation we had last week; it has something to do with her husband. I dialed her immediately but what answered back was her voicemail, so I decided to text her back instead.

"Are you okay? You are not answering my calls maybe we talk about that matter this Tuesday night the usual," I said and sent her the message.

The next day it is Tuesday, Tonight I am getting ready for the usual little catch-up with Esther, I called her this afternoon but she wasn't picking up. Assuming that she was busy at work, I did not disturb her anymore but when I left her a message again, there was still no reply. My eyebrows furrowed to frown, this was very unusual for Esther. She would always pick up the phone unless she's busy but still then, she'd call back a couple of hours later to check on me. I immediately called up Martha, a colleague and a friend of Esther. At the first few rings, she picked up,

"Hey! I was just finishing up at work, what's up?" she asked while there was shuffling of papers at the end of the line.

"Martha, hi. I just wanted to ask if Esther's added a few hours to her shift or if she's there? She hasn't been answering my calls and it's very unusual for her to do that," I asked quickly.

"She hasn't turned up to work today. I thought she might have stayed at home because she was sick. Have you tried calling her husband?" the shuffling of papers stop and I caught that she's had her attention to me.

"No, not really. I'm not close to the guy, and I don't have his number" I rolled up my sleeves and sighed.

"Thank you, Martha. I'll head to our usual dining place anyway, maybe she'll turn up eventually. Catch you later", We bid goodbyes and hung up afterward.

I am the first one who arrived this time, she was always early to arrive at the place before. The waiter approaches me as soon as I sat down.

"Good evening," he greeted formally and bowed a little bit.

"Hi, can I have one glass of Castello Poggio Moscato, I'm going to wait for my companion," I smiled at the waiter; he nodded and went away and when he came back he gave me my glass of wine and I utter a small thank you. I waited for about an hour and a half and I finished my drink already but she didn't arrive yet, however, I am waiting patiently I tried to call her multiple times but still no answer.

It's getting late right now, it's close to ten and the restaurant is about to close up soon, so I decided to head home after I took a few bills and put them on the table. When I passed by their house, I saw her husband's truck; the last time she told me he hasn't come home. I drive slowly, trying to check further and hoping that at this late-night I would have seen her outside their house but then, I have noticed that the truck of her husband has brand-new tires.