8: MISTRESS

We arrived at the police station, where the investigators discussed their findings. They said the case was a murder because they saw traces of stabbing and wounds in various parts of his body that caused his death. They also said the crime was clean, and they were having a hard time finding evidence, but the pieces of evidence they found in Mr. Smith's house proved that it was a murder. The document and the kitchen knife are solid proof, that woman is Mr. Smith's mistress, they examined the lady suspected of being at the center of the crime, and they are now gathering enough evidence to determine if she has anything to do with Esther's disappearance.

Devorah wants to speak with the mistress, so we're sitting in front of the table waiting for her. When she arrives, Devorah automatically rises from her seat. The woman was escorted by the police, who placed her in the chair in front of us with handcuffs on her hands. Devorah's palm immediately landed on the woman's face, resulting in a resounding slap.

"What did you do to my sister?" Devorah asks, her voice tinged with rage, and her body trembling with waves of rage.

"Can you tell me where my sister is?" She yelled at the woman, but when Devorah asked her another question, she didn't get a chance to react.

"Did you also kill her?" She screamed once more.

"I have no idea who your sister is that you're all talking about!" The woman responded with a yell.

"You're such a liar!"  Devorah was about to attack the woman, when I intervened and stopped her.

"Calm down, let's hear her out," I told her, and she complied, returning to her seat.

"Now speak," I ordered to the woman who looks at me with her accusing stares and immediately looks away.

"As I previously stated, I am not familiar with your sister; her husband previously informed me that he was divorced, but he never named his ex-wife or wife, and I have never seen her in his home," she revealed.

"Really? If you didn't know about Esther, how about her husband's murder case? Did you murder him? " I ask, seeing the shifts in her expression.

"What? I don't know how many times I have to tell you that I didn't do anything, that I was out all night, and that the next morning I am being arrested for a crime I didn't commit?" She exclaimed, her face contorted with disappointment.

"Exactly, you were out all night; are you aware that the investigation has shown that Mr. Smith was murdered and dumped in the lake in the middle of the night? You can't fool anyone here," I told her, and she was taken aback.

"However, I am amazed by your murder performance; they couldn't find any piece of evidence in the crime scene; you did a good job, but just a piece of paper and the weapon they assume you used in the crime lead to you being the murderer," she couldn't speak.

"A life insurance policy, huh? Was this all part of your plan?" I proceeded to speak.

She glanced at me and said, "I remembered you."

"Of course you don't, what do you mean?" I asked sarcastically, I'm confused after what I just said? She's going to tell me she remembers me?

"I remember the day that I saw you! Outside his house! You were staring at us like you want to murder us! I know it was you?" I can hear the anger in her voice. That makes sense; she recalled me from that day what I even expecting?

"You remembered huh? Are you kidding me? What are you trying to say?" I asked her like she's talking nonsense.

"I know you saw us before, but why didn't you come over and confront him if you knew he had a wife?! Is this something you planned? Are you the one who set me up? You're well aware that I'm his mistress, so why are you acting as if you didn't know?!" Anger is now displaying her emotions in full force.

"I've never seen you before—" she cut me off before I could finish my sentence.

"You're a liar! I'm sure it's you! I know you were the one who put him to death! YOU DID IT!" She yelled.

"So you think I did it? Why would I do that? Am I the one who filed the life insurance? Would I be benefited when he died? Or it's you?" Before she could talk back the police already arrived to take her because we already reached the time they had set for us to talk, she looked at me one last time and I just gave her a cocky smile.