Chapter 6 - "I almost bought camping gear."

Cece frowned at her computer screen, the words she had typed mocking her in their inelegance. She grabbed her coffee and drained the last few sips. It had been two days since Millie Kate had run into Wesley James at Bitty and Beau's coffee shop and Millie Kate was still sitting at her table.

At this point Cece wanted Millie Kate to take her demitasse and throw it against the wall, but Cece wouldn't dare do that to Bitty and Beau. They were good people.

She laughed mockingly at herself. Maybe she should write a story about Bitty and Beau. At the moment she knew more about Bitty and Beau's intentions and obstacles than stupid Millie Kate. Cece shut her computer.

When she resorted to insulting her character she knew she had reached a bad place. She looked towards the register. It was the end of the day, the afternoon coffee rush was over and the barista was hiding behind a copy of A Tale of Two Cities.

Cece pushed her chair back and grabbed her empty cup. Maybe another cup of coffee would get Millie Kate to move. Cece doubted it since the other six cups she had consumed in the last two days hadn't done the trick, but she had already paced around the coffee shop twice. Pacing a third time would be pushing her luck. The barista was sure to call the mental hospital.

She set her coffee cup down on the counter but the barista made no move to set down the book. This gave Cece an opportunity to study the book cover but even studying the cover of a classic book her thoughts still turned to Millie Kate. Had Millie Kate read A Tale of Two Cities? Of course she had read it in high school, a better question would be did Millie Kate understand A Tale of Two Cities? Had Wesley James read the book?

Bitty had and it was one of her top ten books. Beau had read the Spark Notes version and to this day it was still a point of contention in their marriage. This writer's block had filled her brain with useless facts about her side characters while keeping her main character a mystery.

Cece sighed deeply. She had known this would happen. With Malcolm out of the country she was surprised she had even been able to write as much as she had. But it still didn't change how annoying the whole situation was, which brought her around to the familiar feeling of hating Malcolm.

She sighed again, thinking of Sydney Carton, A Tale of Two Cities' underrated hero. Sydney wouldn't leave her in a lurch to battle her writer's block alone. No, correction, he might have left her but when her publisher came for her head, he would have show up and offer his neck on the chopping block.

A third sigh escaped Cece's lips and the cover of A Tale of Two Cities finally lowered in response. Barista Boy looked at Cece while she came to terms with just how insane her thoughts were. Another side effect of writer's block.

Barista Boy waited expectantly for a minute, watching curiously as Cece stood in front of him, staring at nothing. After a minute, he dropped the expectant stance and rested against the back counter, crossing his arms, studying her curiously.

"Does expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?" Cece eventually asked.

Expecting her writer's block hadn't changed anything. Maybe she should have tried a more positive outlook and tricked her mind. Even though as she thought it, she was doubtful the results would have been any different.

"Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy, was he?" Barista Boy countered.

Now there was an easy question. "No.
The sentence before literally states he had no hair," she said. The image of a hairless bear popped into her brain and she grinned. "Weird sight though."

"It would be like a supersized naked mole rat," Barista Boy said.

Cece laughed. "Imagine a big naked bear walking towards you. It wouldn't look that scary."