Chapter 16 - "Who is the lucky man that won her heart?"

The world felt changed as Cece danced down the street back to her house. She still had to finish her book and she wasn't sure if or how that was going to happen but there was a lightness to her steps that came from the rightness she felt from breaking up with Malcolm. It felt so right, she realized she should have made this decision a long time ago. Probably when Elliot had told her the first time.

"Dear sister!" she sang as she threw their front door open. "I'm home." She kicked off her heels and headed for the kitchen, knowing that was the most likely place she would find Elliot. She was right. Elliot was at the table with a cup of tea in front of her staring off into space. "Elliot," Cece said again.

Elliot looked at her, annoyed. "I was working." Cece came to stand behind her sister and looked where her sister had been looking to find what Elliot had been working on. "It's in here," Elliot clarified, pointing to her head, "not out there."

Cece nodded in understanding. Without saying another word she moved to the cabinets and began to pull out the ingredients for pancakes. She hadn't eaten a thing at the party and after all the activity she was starving.

She was flipping the last batch of pancakes when Elliot finally came out of her dreamy haze and looked around. She looked at Cece and the large plate of pancakes that seemed to have suddenly appeared. Her eyes grew narrow as she scrutinized Cece.

"Something's up," Elliot finally said.

"How astute you are sister," Cece said. "I broke up with Malcolm."

It was surprising how fast Elliot's demeanor changed. It went from mildly tolerant to shiny bright with joy in a second. In the next second, she was out of her chair, shouting for joy as she violently hugged Cece.

"Oh, happy day! The sun doth shine on me with good fortune! The clouds have answered my countless prayers!" Elliot sang as she took Cece's hand and forced Cece to dance around the kitchen. "Ding Dong the President is gone!"

Cece laughed and let Elliot prance her around the kitchen, even joining in for the last rendition of "ding dong the President is gone," until she smelled something burning and had to rush to the stove to save the last batch of pancakes.

Elliot continued to dance around the kitchen praising random things that came to mind that her sister had finally heeded her advice. She didn't sit again until Cece had made up her plate of pancakes and started eating.

"I don't know how Malcolm would feel about all this celebrating," Cece said as Elliot finally started grabbing pancakes.

"Malcolm is free to think whatever he wants, just as long as I don't have to deal with him anymore," Elliot said.

"He wasn't as bad as you make him seem," Cece said as Elliot joined her at the table.

"Oh, I know," Elliot said. "It was mostly you." Cece looked at her sister in disbelief but Elliot just waved it away. "You were the worst. All the complaining and up and down. I love Malcolm, now I hate him. He is my muse, he left me!" Elliot said in the whiniest voice.

"I don't sound like that," Cece said, much more offended by the voice Elliot used than by her words.

"Not out here," Elliot said, motioning around them, "but in here." She pointed to her head.

"That's your fault," Cece argued.

"Probably, but we both know my mind creates most of my problems. But enough about me. Tell me about the break-up."

Over double servings of pancakes, Cece told Elliot about everything that happened. From running into Barista Boy to breaking up with Malcolm and her final goodbye to Franklin. Elliot nodded along as she listened to the story unfold.