26.

Shivaay felt the faint feel of someone breathing over his head. He was so sleepy that he couldn't even open his eyes and look at the person. But it felt comforting to know that someone was around him and more importantly, that someone was not trying to harm him. He also felt like he was covered with something today. Something warm? Like a blanket. Even the touch was familiar. He had experienced it before. He just couldn't pinpoint it now.

A sudden painful spasm shot through his spine and he shuddered. The arms around him tightened. Shivaay felt a hand rubbing his back now. It made him feel marginally better. Yet not. He desperately wanted to sleep, stop the pain. Shivaay pressed himself more into the familiar warmth without really questioning who it was. He just needed some comfort.

As he moved in and out of consciousness, Shivaay saw a dream. It was strange but he saw himself as a child. Om was also there, sitting beside him and colouring in his book furiously. Rudra was in Shakti's arms sucking on a pacifier whilst Jhanvi definitely pregnant with Priyanka. He saw Pinky peeling oranges, offering him a slice every other minute. And strangely, he saw Annika, a full grown-up version sitting beside Pinky.

They all were sitting in the living room of the Oberoi Mansion. Everything was bathed in light and palpable happiness. It only multiplied when Tej walked in. Shivaay took an orange peel and squirted it in his eyes making him grunt. It made Om and him laugh like maniacs. As Shivaay's belly rumbled with laughter, Tej swooped down and picked him up. As Tej tickled him mercilessly, Shivaay laughed harder and harder, trying to catch his breath.

Shivaay sighed. This is what he wanted. A home and some smiles. What would he not give to get all of this?

********************************* 

Tej adjusted the coat around Shivaay and held him close to his chest. He was glad that he had decided to wear a suit before coming there. And he was more glad that Veer had locked him up there. He couldn't even imagine what would have happened to Shivaay otherwise.

"Are you still cold?" Tej asked Shivaay as he tried to cover his whole body somehow.

In response, Shivaay let out a sigh and let himself be fully supported by Tej. Something flickered in Tej's brain. A part of his heart that had forgotten how to feel, how to love; stared back at him. Jhanvi was right. Shivaay was their first child. How could he even think that it would be okay if he let him die?

Tej didn't know what was he thinking. Tears clouded his vision and he stroked Shivaay's arm in a hope of taking away the stiffness.

"I am sorry Shivaay..." he whispered and ran a comforting hand on Shivaay's back. "Forgive me."

Tej rested his head on the wall and begin to think of what he could do. If he told Jhanvi or Om or Rudra or Annika about Shivaay, they would definitely act on an impulse and then Veer would spoil everything. Tej needed to act smart. There had to be some kind of loophole in Veer's plan that could aid him. He thought about his earlier plan and went over the conditions Veer and Roop had posed before him now. He raked his head to find a loophole, anything that he could advantage of.

Shivaay whimpered then, mumbling incoherently. Tej looked down at him. Perhaps, he could think of everything later. For now, he needed to be with Shivaay. He kept a hand on Shivaay's chest. He wanted to have a constant assurance that his heart was beating. Tej sat back knowing that it was going to be the toughest night of his life.