35 | His Choice

Heat waved over her as Safe twisted her hair into a bun for the fifth time. Zeal came in the office with two take out cups and a concerning look.

His lips pursed inwards as he watched Safe walk around the room while she held parchment of the patients' files. "You look like a kid who has exams the next day and just realized that the topic she studied for two months is not on the exam." He blurted with his eyes squinting and studying her movements.

It has been quite a while since he began working as her assistant but they both know he was only good for paperwork, the thing she's currently hoarding, the only job he could do.

Safe placed a new pile of parchments on her desk, and with the sound that it echoed, it was sure heavy as hell for her to just casually carry. "Very detailed." She laughed sarcastically as she accepted the cup from his hand.

Zeal let out a small chuckle and leaned against the desk. "When are you going home?" He asked, his eyes looking intently at her to fish for an answer.

"Not until all of these are done." She replied in a very obvious manner.

He shook his head and placed a hand on the parchment that she was about to pick up. "No, wrong answer. Seriously, Cel. You've been here for the past two weeks, day and night. You barely give me anything to work on." He nodded towards his empty clean desk, compared to her horrid side of the room. "I can't receive money without working for them."

Safe placed the cup down, rubbing her hands on her face and let out a loud breath. "I can't. There's a huge chance that if I went to the flat, I may not be able to return to work." She explained briefly and began snooping over the papers again. There was a small glimpse of fear in her stomach but she knew it wasn't the only reason why.

"Good." He stated, "Get ginger to lock you up so you can at least try to sleep properly. I've seen you take devil's claw every single hour, you clearly need to sleep somewhere comfortable." Her body took a pause, by then he knew he had nicked a nerve.

She shook her head with a faint smile. "You don't understand." She sat on her swivel chair, her fingers pinned her left temple as she looked down.

His exhale was much more deep, shivering if she wasn't just used to his mannerisms. "Yes, I really don't, but you won't explain anything to me either, so if you need me, you know what to do." He grabbed his small duffle bag and turned off the lamp on his desk.

Zeal was halfway out of the door when he peeked back in. "And Cel." He called out, she looked up at him with an impatient stare. "At least take a shower. Please, I'm begging." He exclaimed with a devious grin.

Safeiarrah waved her hand, "Go away." She hissed playfully, her lips curling slightly upwards.

After five minutes of blankly staring at a paper, Safe knew she wasn't going to get any work done. Her mind was still on the event that happened two weeks ago. She gripped lightly on her left forearm as she recalled how she had herself splinched after apparating to her office and since then she hasn't gone out once.

Zeal was extremely surprised to see her in the office when he came back from eating lunch with Hannah and Daryl.

——————

"Aren't you supposed to be somewhere in a tropical country?" He asked, pointing in her direction, he halted after seeing his boss in their office after slacking off. He also noticed the stack of papers that used to be on his desk were now sitting comfortably on her desk.

She winced but managed to fake a smile. "Surprise? You didn't decide to hold a concert in my office, did you?" She kidded, hiding her arm behind her. She felt the blood crawl down to her fingertips, taking a while before letting go of her skin and falling on the floor.