Chapter 1

(Philip J. Coulson)
Coulson organized the items on his desk. There were multiple old designs of old gadgets, paperwork, and he couldn't forget about Fury's toolbox. He kept busy and hummed a bit while he kept clean. Everything was perfect for him, and luckily, there were no dangerous criminals out and about for months.

Which was kind of relaxing. No new inhumans, well, bad ones anyway, Hydra hadn't shown their faces, No Ward which was a bit sad because Coulson was desperate to find him. It was peaceful. So Coulson had began busying himself with cleaning. He had given Mack and Yo-Yo, a new S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, permission to go out on vacation.

He only approved because he saw something in between them, it was special, and obviously serious.

His thoughts were broken when he heard a creek in the door. Coulson looked up slightly from his desk and saw May standing in the doorway. He smiled a bit and stopped what he was doing to look at her.

"Hey there," Coulson said casually. May smirked and walked in.

"How was your sleep?" He asked. They had made a deal that May had to tell him any time she had a nightmare and what it was about. Although, even if she did try to lie her way out of it, Coulson could easily tell when she had.

"Took me a good thirty minutes to fall asleep, but it was peaceful." May commented. She had changed from her baggy sweatshirt into a fitted black shirt and black jeans. Coulson nodded and May looked around.

"Starting spring cleaning early?" She scoffed. Coulson just grinned.

"Yeah well, I am a bit bored." He teased as he walked over to her. May sat on his desk and watched him walk around it. She put her hands, which were ice cold, around the back of his neck once he was close enough and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek.

"Yeah well so am I." She said gently. She removed her hands from his neck and slid off the desk.

"Got any jobs?" She asked hopefully as she went to sit on the couch. Coulson thought for a minute, maybe there was something they could do, but he couldn't think of anything she'd want to do.

"Not really, I mean, nothing you'd want to do." He replied. May scoffed and raised an eyebrow. She gave her normal emotionless stare.

"Phil, we haven't had anything to do for months." She reasoned. Coulson turned to his desk and grabbed his iPad. He knew she wouldn't want to. General Talbot needed someone with experience to come and interrogate the powered people. Talbot didn't trust anyone to go and interrogate them especially other powered people. He thought they would try and break them out both being inhumans and all. Coulson hadn't bothered to because he thought Talbot would do it. He knew he should've done it anyway.

"You really won't want to." Coulson explained. May crossed her arms. She leaned back on the couch and crossed her legs as well.

"Phil, I'll decide for myself." She told him stubbornly. Coulson turned to face her, iPad still in hand.

He looked at her for a moment. He knew what her reaction would be, and how she would stare at it with cold emotionless eyes. A hint of hurt would gleam in them though.

He had seen that look many times before, and didn't want to see it again. But he knew May wouldn't want to stop asking. Correction, he knew she WOULDN'T stop asking.

So Coulson sighed and clicked a button on his iPad. The screen to the farthest side of the wall faded into color. May looked at the screen. A picture of Lis and Liana both stood there. Their faces were bruised from May beating them senseless, and Liana had a gash on the top of her head.

This picture was taken a little while ago, just before they gave them to Talbot. May paused, her eyes wouldn't leave the screen. But to Coulson's surprise, no guilt, no sadness flooded her eyes like he thought would happen. She just stared at it blankly. Then turned to Coulson.