Chapter 8

(Philip J. Coulson)
Wake...

He heard someone whisper to him.

Wake up..

They murmured again.

WAKE UP!!

They screeched again. Coulson instantly opened his eyes. He tried to shoot up but something stopped him. He let out a gasp as he looked around. He was in the boiler room, Liana was standing over him. She removed her fingers from his temple and bent down so that she was level with him. A small smile crept up her lips.

"Damn, you were hard to wake up." Liana joked. Coulson sighed, his head pounded and fatigue was still eating at him. He looked down at what was holding him in place and realized he was tied up to a pipe. His hands rested on his legs and he leaned his head on the tip of the pipe.

"What the hell did you do..?" Coulson asked groggily. Liana hauled herself up and walked away from him. That's when he realized it wasn't just him and her in there. A woman was laying there. She was clearly unconscious. Her head was tipped to the side and all Coulson could see was her dusty brunette hair. Coulson knew exactly who it was.

"Melinda.." He called out. No response. He examined her limp form. A grey substance covered every inch of her. His heart stopped for a moment.
What did she do to her..? Liana looked at May then back at Coulson.

"Yeah, she's not doing too good is she?" Liana walked over towards May. She circled her body, examining her. Liana stopped walking when she reached her head and kicked her. Coulson flinched at the sight of Liana hurting her. May's face flung limply to the other side and rested there. She seemed so peaceful, laying there. But her face looked pale from the ash or dust that decorated it. Coulson found it amusing how she showed more emotion when she was sleeping than when she wasn't. That's why he always loved watching her sleep. But this type of sleep scared Coulson. He looked up from May and to Liana who was smiling from ear to ear.

"What did you do?" He repeated. There was a hint of desperation in his voice. Liana walked away from May and went to lean on the closest brick wall next to the metal doorway. She crossed her arms and looked at Coulson.

"I dropped a roof on her." She explained casually. Coulson's eyes widened and he turned his gaze to May urgently. That explained why she was covered in dust. Liana let out a small chuckle, that slowly evolved into a laugh.

"Oh god.. I'm sorry.." She told him through laughs. Liana put one hand to her mouth in fake embarrassment. Coulson didn't look at her, he just stared at May, hoping that somehow she would wake up and tell him she was okay.

"I'm sorry, it's not funny.." She snorted. She let out a few more silent laughs before taking a deep breath. She held it for a moment and sighed as she cleared her throat.

"Okay.. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It's just, you're so readable." She held her breath for a moment to stifle a laugh. Coulson side eyed her, he was wide awake now.

"What do you want?" He turned his eyes towards her fully. Liana paused for a moment before narrowing her eyes and staring at him like he was crazy. Her smile quickly turned into a frown.

"How dumb are you?!" Liana retorted. She pushed herself off the wall and walked towards him. She kept her arms folded. Coulson adjusted himself slightly.

"You really are clueless aren't you?" Liana muttered. She examined him, as if she could see inside his mind.

"May took something very dear to me... and even though Lis has found closure in Daisy's death..." Liana paused for a moment. Coulson froze and his heart dropped. He could feel it shatter as he was still trying to process Liana's words.
Daisy's dead..? He wouldn't believe it. Not until he saw it for himself.