Chapter 40

Hana sat next to her mom, dabbing at her eyes with a tissue.

“So habibti, what are we going to do about this?” her mom asked, and Hana shrugged.

“There is nothing to do Mama. He is talking with Kalthoum.”

“Are they engaged yet?”

“Well I didn’t think so, but here you are preparing her wedding dress.” Hana said pointing towards Kalthoum’s dress and her mom smiled.

“I don’t think they are, you know how Rawya likes to brag. If Kalthoum was engaged, especially to Houssam, she wouldn’t have been able to stop talking about it. I think Kalthoum was just getting ahead of herself.”

“Like usual.” Hana muttered.

“Is everything okay between you two?” her mother asked, and Hana hesitated before shaking her head.

“No. She is changing and I don’t like who she is becoming.”

Her mom cocked her head to the side.

“How is she changing?”

“She’s obsessed with Houssam’s wealth! That’s all she wants to talk about, and it’s like that’s all he means to her. She probably doesn’t even know that his favorite color is green or that his favorite food is grape leaves. It only matters to her how many cars he owns, and how big his house is!”

“You know his favorite color and food?” her mom asked with a slight smile, and Hana blushed slightly.

“Only because I was interviewing him for the paper.”

“How is that going?”

Hana shrugged.

“I still have a few questions left but it’s getting so hard to talk to him without hurting, I’m debating just letting Abdullah take over.”

Her mom was quiet for a few seconds.

“So do you want to hear what I think you should do?”

Hana hesitated, before nodding.

“Okay.”

“You tell your Baba.”

Hana’s eyes widened, and she began to shake her head in panic.

“No. No, no, no I can’t do that Mama.”

“Why not?”

“I can’t tell Baba who I like!” Hana exclaimed in horror, and her mom laughed.

“Why not!?”

“It’s so embarrassing!”

“I don’t see why it should be. Your father and I were young once. We remember what it was like to be in love!”

“Mama!” Hana groaned, and Mama laughed again.

“Do you like Houssam?”

“Yes.”

“Then I don’t see that you have any other option.”

“And what is Baba supposed to do? Go up to Houssam and say, ‘hey my daughter is in love with you, and while I know you have never shown any interest in her before, but do you want to marry her?!’” Hana slumped back against the couch, clutching her hands to her heart. Mama regarded her thoughtfully for a few seconds.

“Does your brother know?”

Hana nodded.

“Yes.” She replied, and her mom’s eyes widened.