Chapter 60

Ahhhhhhh chapter sixty! Alhamdulillah! Only a few more chapters left :D

“What do you mean you are leaving!?” Amir demanded, and Houssam waited until he had stepped around his brother, dunked the ball in the hoop, and landed back on his feet before sighing.

“Yeah, InshaAllah after Ayyoub’s Aqeeqah I’m going to go back home. I booked my flight for Friday night.”

Amir frowned.

“Why are you leaving?”

Houssam shrugged.

“I dunno. I came back for Hana, and it’s not going to work out. At least not right now.”

Amir winced slightly.

“So? You have other people here besides Hana.”

“Yeah I know. But at the same time it will be hard being around her. You know how often our families are together. Plus with Freddy’s transfer to the Knicks, he needs a place to stay and show him around so I want to be there for him.”

“I’m really glad the two of you stayed friends. Maybe he will become Muslim!” Amir exclaimed and Houssam smiled.

“That would be awesome.”

“May Allah swt guide him!”

“Ameen!” Houssam exclaimed putting out his hands for the ball, and once Amir had passed it to him, he threw it towards the net.

“So Hisham told me about your little meeting yesterday.” Amir said as he went for a shot.

“Uh yeah.” Houssam said with a slight grimace, grabbing the rebound.

“I am proud of you for doing the right thing even though it couldn’t have been easy.”

Houssam shrugged, passing the ball back and forth between his hands.

“Yeah I guess.”

“No I’m serious Houssam. I know that to others, it may seem like you are just causing unnecessary drama, or that you should just get over ourselves and get married. But the fact of the matter is if you rush into things, if you get married simply because it’s expected of you, or you feel like you should, it’s going to end badly.”

“So you don’t think that we should have just bitten the bullet and gotten together? That we are just being annoying?”

“Of course you aren’t being annoying. This is life. It is reality that sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes it doesn’t work out at all, and sometimes it takes time for things to fall into place. You just have to be patient. Nowadays there are too many divorces happening between young people, so you really have to make sure you are not only financially ready, but that you are emotionally and spiritually as well. You remember Mina Bashir right?”

“I thought Yusra forbade you from ever saying her name again”

Amir laughed.

“Yes well there is a reason I’m saying it now! It’s not like I’m just talking about her for no reason!” he said with a laugh. “Anyways, she got married six months ago.”

“Yeah to Aziz Jabbar right?”

Amir nodded.

“Yeah. And they are getting divorced now.”

“Ouch.” Houssam said with a wince, and he passed the ball to his brother. “When you and Yusra were apart, did you know that you were going to be together?”