Chapter XX: Briar.

Me and Lyra sat in the drawing room.
Mrs. Mc Cullen stood by her bag and pulled out two etiquette textbooks.

"Why are we here? We've taken dozens of etiquette classes." I whispered to Lyra.

"I think something is worrying mother, she seemed different when she was angry. I guess she is upset with our behaviour the past few weeks." Lyra whispered.

"Well, this is simply ridiculous." I stated.

"It is not ridiculous Your Highness. Lyra straighten your posture." Mrs. McCullen said

Lyra rolled her eyes and sat up straight.

"You never were good at these courses were you." I said.

"Take the books read the first chapter then we shall study what we have read ladies." Mrs. Mc Cullen said and handed them to us.

I knew every chapter in the book.

I opened the book.

'Ladylike Head posture.
Walking is imperative for the proper lady's reputation, so in this chapter we shall cover poise in holding one's head.'  The book read
"Ugh," I thought.

Once we had finished reading them McCullen lead us to the back courtyard.

We put the books on our heads and began walking round and round the courtyard

Lyra, as awkward as she is in posture, had the book shifting all over her head. She looked like an elephant that had too much wine.

"Poised, graceful, and beautiful as always Briar." Mrs. Mc Cullen expressed.

She inspected Lyra.
"Lyra, you look like you are in an insane amount of pain." She said with a frown.

We continued walking like that until Lyra finally managed to walk in a semi stable manner.
Mrs. Mc Cullen left and Lyra rushed off faster then I could say Etiquette.

I went to go speak with my mother.
Approximately 4 and a half minutes later.
"Mother?" I inspected her private tea room.

"Yes Briar?" She asked.

"Why did you put me in the etiquette class?" I asked as I sat down at her tea table.

"Because, you and Lyra have fallen into horrible habits. I've seen the way you treat Louis, it is beyond unladylike. To be honest, I almost didn't want to tell you that as of this morning your engagement is off."

"What?!" I asked urgently.

"I received a message this morning. You pushed Louis so hard he talked to the King. Are you happy? I was willing to let you off, if you found another suitor, but quite frankly, as the season goes, you are unmarried, without a suitor, and we are no closer to securing our relationship with France. I'm disappointed." She said

"I am sorry Mother, but I shall not apologize for saying no to an arranged marriage. For your sake I will continue to stay around Prince Louis, I do believe we can salvage our relationship."

"I don't believe it." She said.

I went to my room and began attempting to write a proper letter to Louis, one that expressed how I felt towards him. I finished it, but, when I read it over I ripped it up. I had no idea how to express how I felt.
I sent him a letter that simply said:
'Dear Louis, Words don't come easy to me. I wish we could fix this... us." I sent it.