Chapter XXIII: Lyra. Garden Party pt.1

Authors notes: sorry it's taking me longer to get these chapters out, someone very close to me passed away and I am struggling a lot mentally.

'This was it. My life is over.' I thought dramatically as I lay with my head on the foot of my bed and all of my covers sprawled out on the floor.
The sun was rising, I had spent the whole night reading his poetry.
Explaining how I felt was impossible, but I will give it a try.
I felt like my heart was on fire, so to put the fire out, someone froze it. So for days it's been going back and forth.

I felt, like someone had slowly shoved an ice pick the length of a log into my chest.

It burned, I hated him. It froze, I loved him.
I understood poetry a little bit more now.

The sun peaked into my room like a reminder that I was the dumbest girl to ever walk the earth. I hadn't slept, my mother always drilled in me the importance of a good nights rest.

I hadn't properly slept for days. I knew today would be impossible. On Thursday I bribed Bella for information.

Atlas was working the party. I was gonna see him.
Dried tears burned on my cheeks from the heat of the morning sun. My room slowly filled up with lovely bright shades of orange.

I sat up and walked outside of my room in my nightgown. No one should be on this floor at this hour. I snuck into Briar's room. I needed one of her dresses.
I searched desperately for the perfect dress. Behind a giant purple one, hung a light white gorgeous dress. I stole it. This is what I would wear tonight. If I was going to see Atlas, I was going to look good.

Time jump.

I stood behind a pillar. My eyes peaked beyond it and the Garden Party was full to the brim with guests. I noticed Atlas of course, standing offering drinks.
The whole day I had been so sleep deprived I almost fainted.

I walked out onto the floor, my nerves exploding and my heart pounding.

Atlas and I locked eyes.

He looked emotionless, and as soon as he saw me he made the same face he made before, he clenched his jaw and fixed his eyes on one point.

My nerves were so strong. They overflowed.
A single tear flowed from my eye and I wiped it away and scowled at him.
He looked at me, his eyes said: "don't cry." Although I knew he was trying to conceal it.

I walked up to him.

"Take it." I said handing him the poetry book under his tray of drinks.

"Why?" He looked hurt.

"How am I supposed to forget you if I'm reading our story through your poems."

"Forget me?" He sounded oddly surprised by my words as if we hadn't been hating each other the past week or so.