Chapter 1: Ocean Home

I feel it shut off in my head

I feel it shut off in my head. Slowly, a fluttering sensation. It makes me want to itch the inside of my brain out. My legs move out from under me, getting off of my wooden bed with a small creak. The wooden floor creaks with my movement as well, and the walls are all black voids around me. No light shines, not at this time. I move the curtains from the window, watching the street outside. It's empty, as expected, and the only light is from the moon. It's enough for me. 

I move to pull on my boots slowly, trying to make as little noise as possible. Though I don't expect anyone to wake up, I can hardly risk it. Rayna and Zayden are heavy sleepers, waking up to only the alarm that goes off every morning in the streets. The one that wakes us up for work. It's a horrid sound, loud and blaring, but everyone is always on time. 

I have my jacket pulled on, and my boots laced when I'm out the bedroom door. The stairs are the worst part of sneaking out, making the most noise from the old wood. Some parts are broken, kicked in by Zayden's anger or mine. Either way, walking down them is a task every morning, even though my steps are now memorized. 

I feel the cold breeze on my face before I even see the moonlight. The air is crisp, wonderful to breathe in, and cold enough to blow clouds of breath in front of your face. Winter is the best time of the year. I set out at a steady pace, towards the water bank as always. The roads are uneven stone, easy to trip on, but I manage to keep my balance well. I rely on dim lighting and the familiar road to guide me, and I'm at the water bank in less than 10 minutes. The water bank is cut off from the rest of the ocean, which is right next to it. The pond  is surrounded by massive stone walls, with only one way out, the massive shut filtered gate. The bank was built to filter trash from the ocean that would come in, trapping it, and then being taken to be recycled or thrown away properly. The oceans have been cleaner for 10 years now, having banks built across the entire nation. The way the bank looks differs, sometimes clean after the trash was taken, sometimes filled with trash that came in from the ocean. It's shallow enough to step in it, not to swim, though the smell is too horrid and too strong to bare. 

The stone walls are thick and wide, making them able to be sat on. I move towards the one closest to the ocean, and dangle my legs off the side as I take a seat. I could scoot into the ocean if I wanted too, the waves would swallow me whole. The white bubbles smash against the stone wall below me, and I feel the mist along my legs, spraying my jeans with cold light liquid. I shiver at the feeling, but focus on it. It let's me know I'm alive. That I'm still breathing.