Chapter 6: Always fine.

The second I step into the warm house I let out a breath of air, relieved to be out of the cold at last

The second I step into the warm house I let out a breath of air, relieved to be out of the cold at last. The weather predictions are never correct now, since they decided they wanted a more 'modern' way of knowing when it's going to rain. I figured they'd shut up about being modern after they began to put a piece of metal in our heads. 

'To control your emotions,' Is what they told us. 'In order to remain powerful against other nations, we must be peaceful inside of our own.'

Of course, people were quick to believe them. I couldn't blame them, if you have a good job, a good family, and a false idea of peace handed to you- you would do anything to not mess it up. Even if meant believing the corrupt who made you think you were safe and happy, just to not cause trouble. 

"Elmara is that you? I thought I heard the door open!" Rayna yells from the kitchen, followed by a quick 'Ow' from her burning her hand on the stove again. 

"Rayna if you want me to return it I will," I say, speaking about the stove I bought last month when I came home from a job. Augustus Macentire, Blithe's governor that had to be, removed. I still wonder when they will finally announce that he's not on a 'business trip'. Rayna had been burning herself ever since, not used to the heat of it. It was a miracle if our old one would actually turn on. 

"No, no I will learn how to use it" She says, fidgeting with the different settings. "This stove gets really hot," she mumbles, shocked at the temperature. 

I try to fight the smile appearing on my face, but it beats it's way out. "You're on the lowest setting." 

Rayna's eyes widen in my direction, and I dip my head down so she doesn't see me laughing. "Are they trying to burn our house down?" 

"Well of course, it's how the insurance companies make their money" I tease. She rolls her eyes at me, and adjusts the stove for the last time before standing across from me while I take a seat at the kitchen island. She begins washing her hands, and we sit in comfortable silence until she speaks again. 

"So, how was your day honey?" She asks me, following the same routine as every other day. 

"Fine, just a little bit different." I tell her. 

"How so?" 

Just then I hear a door slam upstairs and feet trekking down the stairs, the last stair creaking with the weight. "I'll tell you later," I tell her. 

"Well don't stop for me," Zayden says, making his usual dramatic entrance into the room. 

"Nice of you to join us," I mutter, grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl. 

"Uh uh, dinner is almost ready, you can eat then." Rayna says, snatching the fruit from my fingers. 

"I already ate dinner." 

"With, Roland, maybe?" She says, perking up her eyebrows and staring me down. Her mouth is set in a small smile, like she's trying to stop herself from breaking out in laughter. 

"Yes Rayna with Roland, thanks so much for asking." I tell her sarcastically, trying to escape up the stairs before she keeps questioning. 

"Well how did it go?" She prompts. Always the questioner. 

I open my mouth to say something, but then shut it back again. "Do we have ice cream? I want ice cream." 

"It's 50 degrees outside," Zayden speaks up. 

"I love your meaningful input, Zayden" I sigh "It went fine. It always goes fine." 

"Mhmm" Zayden and Rayna hum at the same time. 

"You two are intolerable,"

"Well, you should invite him over for dinner next week. I'll figure out the stove by then." Rayna says excitedly. Right. Next week. 

"Yeah, about next week." I start off slowly. Rayna raises her eyebrows, and Zayden turns his head towards us from his seat on the sofa. "I'm going on another trip."