Chapter 5: King's Assassin.

"Chin up, shoulders back, for gods sake will you stop slouching?" John says 

"It's just a phone call John, stop acting as if it's a royal ball." I spit, my patience beginning to burn out. 

"It's a call with the king, you act like you're talking to a friend." John says harshly, his fingers tapping buttons on the screen set in front of him. 

I grin at him mockingly, "I've done so many jobs for him, maybe we are friends."

"You're foolish." His tone is bored, his fingers now moving to  clack on the keyboard set next to the screen.  What he's typing, I don't know. The board looks too old to work anymore. His hands always seem to go there every time he doesn't want to deal with someone. 

"Don't worry, I won't get myself killed. I know I'm your favorite source of income" I say lazily, adjusting my already perfect sleeves. 

"Classic." He says, glaring. My smile stretches wide, teeth showing. "Okay, I'm ready." I throw my shoulders back, and straighten up in front of the screen. My hood covers most of my face, making it impossible to see who I am- but the fabric allows me to see others. Despite my fingers shaking, and my leg threatening to start fidgeting- everything is fine. I didn't hear or see the countdown until a voice, crisp and male spoke up. But it wasn't the King. It was one of Hyrenn's lords, one I can't- nor care to- remember the name of. 

"Ms.Astra, his majesty thanks you for your acceptance of his request." The lord speaks, his voice steady. I nod my head, the only answer I'm allowed to give until absolutely necessary. From the corner of my hood, I see blonde hair standing in the entrance to the hall. The only one I allow to listen to my calls. Roland. I step to the side instinctively, letting John come to my left to read our rules for the request. I always find it hard to not laugh at that. The way he makes murder seem so civilized with rules and regulations. Normally, John is almost jumping at the opportunity to remind the rich that he is the one in charge of this, and not them. Today he's practically shaking, as he always is, when it's a call with the King. 

I've been doing jobs with the King since I was 15, moving up faster each day. I'm now 19, and the only one he's ever requested as his main. I've had help on missions of course, but I practically worked alone. I know that most of the people here would jump at the opportunity to stab me in the back. Literally. 

I see Roland frowning at me, knowing the dangers of this request more than I do. That's what he thinks at least. I know what I'm risking, as always. The King's jobs are never the easiest, but that was when they paid 5000 Hyna. Now the money, and the risk, is tripled. I zone back into what's happening in front of me once I hear that John stopped talking. The lord has his lips stretched into a line, no doubt patiently waiting for John to stop. 

"Thank you, for that information John, but this request is different." The lord says, slowly, as if trying to slow down time with his words. "I believe His Majesty himself would like to explain it," 

My shoulders tense up again, and my eyes land on the pale skinned, bearded man who comes into the frame. Though most of his hair is now gray with age, I can see streaks of what used to be black hair mixed in. His eyes are dark as well, darker then I've ever seen before. I've done jobs of course, but his guards never let me anywhere near the castle, let alone the King. I was only able to see it from a distance. Now, seeing those black eyes- I feel only hatred. This man, who has hired me to kill so many people, who is the reason others hire me as well. It feels disgusting to think about. Like some sickness is slithering on my skin, and there's no way to get rid of it. 

"Hello, Ms.Astra it is nice to finally speak with you." The king speaks. His voice is..different. Not like I've ever heard before. It's non-rhotic, and musical in a way. However I still know what he is saying. I don't say anything back, knowing that his pause was for effect and not a request for a response. "I normally don't do this, as you know, but my circumstances are.. different. I still request for someone to be.. disposed of. Although I am asking for a favor along with it."

I tilt my head in question, and he continues on, not missing a beat. "My son, as you may have heard is getting to the age where certain training is required for a prince. One day, when I am gone he will have to rule in my place, and I will not leave knowing that he is unprepared. Our trainers are all incredibly skilled, but you have a different set of skills that would be quite useful to him." I don't have to ask to know exactly what 'skills' he means. Murder. He wants his son to be able to take someone out, without flinching.

"I ask this of you because well, you are my assassin." He smiles. My gut twists at those words. My assassin. I would never want to belong to a man like him. Or any man, at all. "I gave you one weeks time because I would like to explain everything to you once you get here." Get here. My stomach twists. 

"With all do respect, Your Majesty, why would you let me anywhere near your son?".

"Well, I need him to be trained by all of the best. You are the best assassin, are you not?Or have I been hiring the wrong person all these years?". The king knows how to talk well, I'll give him that. 

"No," I say quickly, allowing myself to glance at Roland quickly. His mouth is set in a grim line. "I just mean.. I'm an assassin. You're asking me to train your son, which requires.. close proximity." 

"Well, it will be monitored, of course. But I know you wouldn't do anything stupid. Would you, dear?" He smiles. It's snake-like, his words laced with a poison that is harmless but deadly at the same time. 

"No, I wouldn't." I say simply. 

"Splendid. I will see you at the castle in one week's time." The screen shuts out and I'm met with my reflection on an empty screen where the King's face was a moment ago. I would like to explain everything to you once you get here. The castle.