Chapter 4: Backing Out.

"One week is hardly enough time," Roland speaks, trailing my heels

"One week is hardly enough time," Roland speaks, trailing my heels. "He has to be out of his mind." 

"I'll find out more later today, Roland." I tell him, keeping my gaze forward. More details are provided over call once we have accepted the request. It is the final stage after accepting, and the last chance to back out.

Roland lets out a sigh, reminding me that we are still walking together. "How's your mom doing?" I ask him. 

He shrugs, "Same as usual. Blanking out, wakes up in the middle of the day. She's gotten fined for it multiple times now. " He stays silent at the turn around the corner when other's walk by, and continues after they've gone. "She's taking care of my brother less and less these days." 

"If you ever need someone to watch him, I wouldn't mind," I tell him. I look up at him, to the side of his face. His blonde hair is falling loosely in front of his eyes and he's smiling. "What?" I ask him. 

"I don't know how I would feel leaving you with my 5 year old brother." He smirks. 

"Hey, you know I don't hurt children." I tell him, smiling. "Plus you're brother's a good kid, doesn't whine, sits still, he's so quiet I forget he's around sometimes." 

"Yeah well, I worry about that," Roland says, his smile dropping. "He doesn't talk enough. When I was his age I wouldn't shut up." 

"Yeah, well you still don't." I smirk, "He'll come around, just give him some time." 

"Mhm," 

"Leave him with me and I'll have him babbling in no time." 

"You'd also have him throwing knives, Elmara." He laughs. 

I grin at that, teeth showing. "The rich bastards would never see him coming." 

Roland gives me a pointed glare- serious for 5 seconds- before mirroring my grin. "No they wouldn't,". After we take one more turn, Roland leaves to go through a door on the left. Inside the room is lit by white light, and a table is set up in the middle. Assassins are seated around it t, and I see Roland take a seat when I pass by the window. The door is shut immediately, and I only hear light whispers of talking coming from inside. I recognize all of the faces from the request that came in last week. A job in Blithe- a conurbation in the middle of Hyrenn. We're lucky to have never gotten a job in The Reservation. To have to kill someone in our own conurbation, I couldn't imagine. Good thing no one around here is memorable enough to have a bounty put on their heads. 

I continue walking, almost making a loop around the facility now. I see John coming my way, and he gestures for me to stop. We walk to the side of the hallway together to let others pass, and he begins talking. 

"The call is in 2 hours, you and I will meet tomorrow in 2A to talk about what you have to do when you get there," He says quickly "I'll be there at the call as well," 

He begins to walk away quickly, but I stop him. "Wait," I say turning around now "How do you know I won't drop the request by the end of the call?" 

"Do you ever?" John asks, raising his eyebrows. I watch him, trying to find out what he's doing. He must love this request, since he gets 10% of everyones earnings. This is the highest paying one so far. He holds my stare, and I sigh when I can't figure it out. 

"See you in 2A tomorrow."

I turn away quickly, managing to see the beginnings of a smile on his face.