Chapter 2: Strangers Walking.

I lay at the bank for 30 minutes, the only sound are the waves smashing and my own breathing

I lay at the bank for 30 minutes, the only sound are the waves smashing and my own breathing. It takes everything I have not to fall asleep here, with the cold stone against my back and the wonderful breeze mixed with the waves. The streets are silent, with everyone sleeping by now. No one dares walk outside after curfew, anyone who cares about the repercussions of course. I couldn't give a shit. Rayna would yell at me for being so careless, putting everything at risk. I didn't bother arguing back, we both knew I wouldn't stop. 

My hands are chilled now and the water on the cuffs of my jeans has frozen. I get up slowly, my legs sore from the cold and staying in one position for too long. I walk off the stone, feeling the uneven road against my feet again. I'm at a steady pace home when I see it. Not a it, a who. Their shadow to be more precise. My body freezes. It could be a tranquility, out on a late shift. Or another stray walker. I'm guessing the first one. The shadow turns, but I can't find the body. My eyes search through the bushes by the wall, and then I see it. White shoes, with black pants and a black shirt. Idiot. It's clear now that they're no law official, just a stupid person with a death sentence. No one wears bright white shoes when they want to sneak around.

"Do you have a death wish?" My voice calls out. I try to make it steady, but it falters from from being so cold. I try to be as quiet as possible, any of the windows on the buildings could be open, with people sleeping right behind them. 

"I could ask the same to you." The shadow says now. It's deep, with a strict tone. And much too loud. 

"Keep your voice down you're gonna get us caught." I say, moving closer in his direction. When he steps out, I'm able to see his whole figure. Broad, and tall is all that I pick up in the light. His hair is a dark black, shining by the moons doing. 

"You seem like you know what you're doing." He smirks. I see his teeth now, much too white. 

"And you seem clueless,". I glance down at his light-reflecting shoes to let him know what I mean, although he doesn't follow my gaze and keeps his eyes set on my face. He claps his hand on his chest, faking hurt at my comment, his gaze never faltering. 

"Actually, my name's Luca." He responds, turning my comment into a bad joke. His hand juts out, with his palm open for a handshake. I sigh, and take his hand in mine, shaking gently. Luca's hand is the opposite of mine, warm despite the temperature. He notes the same thing, surprised by mine. 

"How long have you been out?" He asks

With a shrug I say "Long enough,". I pull my hand out from his, crossing my arms now to keep from shaking. He mirrors my movements, crossing his as well before speaking. 

"You don't like to give answers do you?" Luca smiles.

"Is that a question or an accusation?" I say now. 

He laughs, low but genuine. I see now that his hair is an oily black, smooth and dark. His skin is light, looking paler in the moonlight. I suddenly feel conscious next to him. My brown hair's been tangled by the wind, and I feel my cold nose red against my light brown skin. Like that bright nosed deer they told us about when we were younger. I should go home.

"Alright, I should go, it's late." I say, turning away in the direction I came from. My arms are still tight against my chest, and I hunch over from the cold. 

"Mhm, hey I never got your name." Luca calls from behind me, still too loud.  

"I never gave it." I say turning my head over my shoulder. My lips stretch in a smirk, and Luca clicks his tongue, smiling. 

"Hm, alright see ya' stranger." he chuckles.