Chapter 8

• The One with Chaeyoung at the Bonfire •

Chaeyoung knew she shouldn't have agreed to come to this stupid bonfire.

Everyone was already trashed, of course, and Jaehyun kept being annoying and hovering nearby her, even when she finally snapped and snarled at him to leave her the fuck alone. Of course, then he just shouted back that he was "just trying to talk!" and Chaeyoung had to scream at him until she was red-faced and fuming, and Jaehyun mumbled and muttered under his breath about "what a girl" Chaeyoung was being until  Byungwoo pushed a third can of beer into his clumsy hands and he started stumbling around on the beach playing football with the rest of his football team instead.

Parties were so much more enjoyable when Chaeyoung could be drinking too, and considering what a dick Jaehyun had been acting like, she definitely wanted to be drunk right now, but her mother had just flown in this morning so she was already irritable, and Chaeyoung didn't want to go home and let her catch her smelling like alcohol. Clare wouldn't notice if it wasn't much, but she would definitely notice if Chaeyoung reeked of it. Or of puke. In which case, Chaeyoung prayed to God that no one would vomit on her.

Right now, the only danger of that happening lay in her best friend. From the moment Marco had asked Lisa if she'd spoken to her mother, she had become withdrawn, quiet, and grumpy. The moment they arrived at bonfire, she took a bottle of vodka from Yunho and dropped her towel in the sand to go wade through the lake shoreline. Now, though, she was on fast track to getting drunk off her ass, or so it seemed. By midnight, Chaeyoung had had more than enough (but in a way, not enough) of seeing her running around in her bikini top and shorts, cursing and randomly dropping her phone, nearly plummeting it into the water twice and once almost accidentally tossing it into the fire.

Damn it, not again. Chaeyoung sighed as she got to her feet; she had been watching Lisa through the fire as she meandered along the shoreline again, and it looked like she had her phone in her hand again.

"Lis," she called out. Lisa didn't turn at her voice, so Chaeyoung just hurried forth in vague exasperation, taking Lisa's phone out of her hand and stuffing it into one of the pockets in her shorts. "Ugh, you smell like booze. Come on, let's go sit down by the fire."

"I have vodka." Lisa lifted the bottle and offered it to Chaeyoung as Chaeyoung hooked an arm around her and started to steer her back towards the bonfire.

"Let's sit down first," said Chaeyoung, making a mental note to not let Lisa have another bottle after that.

"What a good friend you are," said Lisa. For some reason, Lisa found that hilarious and laughed nearly the whole way across the shore.

Lisa's drunken peals of laughter echoed across the beach as she tripped over Kim Hyungje. He was passed out drunk, and the plastic blue cup he loosely gripped in his hand was tipped over; half of the liquid was now soaked into the side of his shirt. Chaeyoung pressed her hand more firmly into the small of Lisa's back and determinedly led her toward the bonfire flickering in the distance.

There was only one more casualty, which wasn't too significant considering it was just Lisa driving her heel into Woojin's balls as she walked over him, but either way she was relieved when they finally reached the fire.

In all honesty, it was almost surprising that Chaeyoung was the one taking care of Lisa. Considering her blowout with Jaehyun today, she had kind of planned on getting trashed herself, though as she mentioned before, her mother being here kind of ruined that from happening. Yet Lisa had been the one to down four shots and steal a bottle of straight vodka from Byungwoo's stash. She had been acting weird anyway, ever since Marco mentioned Jiwoo to her, and Lisa suspected the fact that it was her mother's birthday must have something to do with it.