Chapter 12

• The One with the Poolside Glint •

"You know, I have to say, I'm so glad I dumped Jaehyun."

Lisa looked over across the pool. Chaeyoung was floating leisurely at the water's surface, the sunlight glinting off her oversized sunglasses. Lisa tried not to let her eyes wander from Chaeyoung's face to her bikini-clad body shining with glistening droplets of water.

"Me too," muttered Lisa before she took a deep breath and sank below the surface of the water. Chaeyoung narrowed her eyes, watching her wavering underwater form glide toward her before she sucked in a deep breath and sank below the water's surface, abandoning floating. Lisa came up moments later right beneath Chaeyoung.

She could hear her squeal gargled through the water as she pulled her under. When they both came up for air, she was spluttering and Lisa was cracking up.

"Ha, ha, very funny." Chaeyoung seized the sunglasses that were currently sinking toward the bottom of the pool, and set them on the side. Then she turned toward Lisa, a mischievous light in her brown eyes that told Lisa she was about to exact her revenge.

"No, no, no," said Lisa quickly, laughing as she swam back. "You deserved that!"

"Why, exactly?" asked Chaeyoung as she advanced, her smile as wicked as the glint in her eyes.

"That was my revenge for you never listening to me about Jaehyun." Lisa grinned at Chaeyoung's surprised expression and the way the words made her halt in her wade forward. "I told you he was a dick."

"Yeah, yeah, you told me." Chaeyoung rolled her eyes, her smile returning. "And I'm sure you'll rub it in my face all weekend."

"Oh, I definitely will. He was such an asshole," said Lisa savagely. Still, she couldn't help to be happy...Chaeyoung had been with him for so long, and every day she had to listen to his stupid lame jokes and watch him kiss her with his stupid gaping mouth and his stupid over-enthusiastic tongue.

Chaeyoung had officially broken up with him in the first week of August, just before their senior year began. It had been, admittedly, rather difficult for Lisa to show up at Chaeyoung's house upon hearing the news with the standard tub of ice cream and promise of a Netflix marathon while maintaining a somber air, when really all she wanted to do was jump in the air and shout in jubilation.

As it turned out, she hadn't even needed to keep serious anyway. Chaeyoung certainly wasn't heartbroken. She'd pulled Lisa into her bedroom and cuddled up to her while they watched Chopped and laughed at one another shouting instructions. They fell asleep in the same twin bed, Lisa drifting to slumber after her heart calmed down at the proximity to Chaeyoung and the fact that she remembered all too well what those soft lips so close to her felt like on her own...

"I can't stand him."

Chaeyoung was watching Lisa curiously, as though she could hear the passionate remarks she was making in her head. "Why do you hate him so much?"

"I don't hate him...I just strongly dislike him." Lisa lifted her legs, using her arms to keep her afloat as she continued, "He's just completely immature. Every five seconds making those stupid 'women belong in the kitchen' jokes, or the 'make me a sandwich' stuff in front of all his buddies to make himself look like a hardass." Lisa's lips twisted. "Ironic, since the minute you walked in the room, he'd turn into a pathetic moron instead."

At Chaeyoung's confused expression, as though she wasn't sure whether Lisa had just insulted her or given her a compliment, Lisa added, "When he kissed you. Seriously, he ate your face."

"Oh." Chaeyoung laughed then. "He pretty much did eat my face. He didn't know what he was doing."

"Exactly," agreed Lisa whole-heartedly. "He shoved his tongue down your throat. He kissed like an eleven year old."