Chapter 6: Argument Over a Mascot

Mikoto
So you're interested
in horror books?

Etsu
Yeah, though I prefer
novels than manga.

Mikoto
That's cool. So the
book you read in
the class earlier is
a horror light novel,
right? I noticed the
cover. It's pretty
gruesome.

Etsu
Yeah, it is. Yep, that's
why I specifically picked
that book. Usually when
the cover is good, the story
is also interesting.

Mikoto
Maybe you can
recommend me
some good horror
books.

Etsu
Hmm, sure. But I didn't
know you're also interested
in reading, Misaka-san.

Mikoto
I've enjoyed some
good books before,
but I've never became
engaged in reading
too much. Maybe
with your help
I can finally get into
it.

Etsu
I'll try my best to make
good recommendations
then.

Etsu smiled as he read the text messages on his cellphone screen. Mikoto had texted him as soon as they exchanged numbers. And they continued their exchanging of texts even after school ends.

Maybe he'd tell Mitsuki about him having a new friend. That guy would be happy to hear him finally socializing with other people.

Speaking of which, Etsu wonders how Mitsuki have been doing these days. He wanted to give Mitsuki a call but is worried if he will disturb him. After all he's a busy and dedicated student. Etsu stared at his cellphone for a while and decided he'll call his brother later.

It came into his mind that he had also exchanged numbers with Junko. But neither of them have initiated a conversation yet. Should he be the first one to do so? Hmm but there's not really a reason to text that friendly lavender haired girl right now. Besides, he's currently texting with Mikoto.

BEEP!

Oh, a new message.

Etsu opened his cellphone and went to the messaging app.

Mikoto
What do you think
about Gekotas?

Gekota, huh? If Etsu's not wrong, it's a mascot which is popular amongst children. Not that he's ever came into contact with it though.

Etsu
I don't really care
about that type of
stuff. It's dedicated
to children anyway.

If there's one thing people ought to know about Unabara Etsu, it is that when asked about something, he will always reply with sincere and honest answer without sugarcoating anything. Even if it means offending someone. Well, not that he was ever smart enough to know what does and doesn't offend someone. And in this case, Etsu totally slipped up.

Mikoto
What? Even if it's
true they're dedicated
for children, that doesn't
mean teens and adults
can't like it!

Etsu
Well, I didn't say they
can't like it...

Mikoto
But from your texts
you look like you're
ridiculing Gekotas
just because they're
made for kids.

Etsu
You misunderstood. I
just don't really care
about them because
they don't interest me.
Not because they're
targeted at children.

Mikoto
That doesn't really
make me feel any
pleased.

Etsu
Misaka-san, you're a
fan of those?

Mikoto
Yeah, I am. You
think it's weird,
right.

Etsu
No... Just a little bit
unusual.

Etsu waited for a while but no reply came from Mikoto.

Etsu
Um... Are you mad
at me?

Etsu
I apologize if I've
offended you.

Even after waiting for 15 minutes, no reply came from the Gekota fangirl. Etsu sighed. She's mad at him, as he thought. If he knew it would've offended her, he wouldn't have typed like that.

Suddenly Etsu realized that not even a day after becoming friends, they're already having a misunderstanding. He hope that isn't a bad sign for their friendship.

Now he has nothing to do, so he set aside his cellphone onto his side and lay on the bed while staring at the ceiling of the unit.

Oh, he almost forgot. He had to prepare a dinner tonight. Usually his grandma cooks for him, but now that he's living alone, he'll be the one to cook for himself. It's a bit bothersome, but not really hard to do so. After all his cooking skills are pretty good, thanks to his grandma's teaching. Not bad, one step towards independence. Etsu grinned to himself and started to bring his body up. He'll need to do some grocery shopping before cooking dinner for himself tonight.

༻﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡༺

Etsu stepped outside of his unit and closed the door. He searched for the door key inside his wallet which is worn around his waist. Although the building uses auto-lock system, it can only be used to lock from inside. When going outside you need to lock it yourself with the key. If you don't, the door won't be properly secured and anyone can come inside your unit to steal your stuff. Etsu had been told about this from his grandma and the supervisor countless times.

While he was locking the door, he heard footsteps of someone passing behind him. He can see through his peripheral vision what looks like a small and petite person wearing white nun's habit with gold highlights on it. It is truly an unusual look on someone but Etsu just shrugged it. It's not his business to tell someone how to dress.

After making sure the door's locked, Etsu began walking away with the supermarket being his destination.

The Academy City streets are quite busy and crowded even though it's close to 5.00 PM in the evening. Etsu put on his hood to cover his face from being seen. He does that to prevent others from sneaking a glance at him because of his weird long bangs covering his eyes. He hates attention, after all.

After a while he arrives at the supermarket and started looking for ingredients he needs for cooking. He plans on making something simple, like curry rice. It's the first day of cooking on his own, so there's no need to make something fancy.

After getting everything on his list, he went to pay for the stuff at the counter. He noticed the cashier was looking at him funny, but he tried to not bother about it too much. He's been given that kind of look so many times, even from his classmates. So he should get used to it now. Still, he hates attention.

Along the way home, he played with his cellphone while carrying the grocery bags in his other hand. He checked whether Mikoto has given him any reply, and he's not surprised there's none. If there's one thing he learned about females from his grandma, it's that they are going to be annoyed at the small mistake you did for quite a while. So at times like these, just give them some space to calm their nerves down.

Suddenly, Etsu stopped walking. He squinted his eyes a little bit to see what's in front of him. Is his mind playing tricks on him right now, or is that the nun person he saw back when he's locking his unit door? And that person is currently lying on the dirty ground of Academy City's streets.