One

If you don't understand how  someone could both love his brother dearly and want to wring his neck at the same time, then you are probably an only child. ~Linda Sunshine

    • • •

"Niall, did you steal my leather jacket?"

I squinted at the screeching sound and shut my eyes tighter as I pretended it was just part of what had previously been a very good dream.

"Niall, I know it was you! You always steal my stuff!"

Not now. I growled viscerally as I rolled over to my other side and forced my pillow over my ears to block out the noise. I tried to imagine myself in a more peaceful setting. It would be warm, so warm that the sunshine would melt on my body and cover me in its glorious love. I smiled as I surrounded myself with the gentle serenity of pounding waves. I let out a sigh as I pretended to feel the cool sand in my toes. My eyelids drooped down lazily.

"Niall!"

My pillow was viciously forced from my hands. "Grrr-aphh!" I yelled out in protest.

"Get up! I have to meet my friends in an hour and I can't find my fucking jacket"

"Use another" I grumbled grouchily and rolled over again to avoid Greg.

He "humphed" loudly, and I felt his weight leave my bed.

Sweet success! I grinned in triumph and allowed myself to succumb to my slumber once again.

"Get up!" He commanded me.

I refused to move. My bed was just too lovely and warm and safe. I sighed as I savored the scent of my sheets and ignored my brother's presence, something he was also very adept at doing - unless, of course, he wanted something.

"Niall!" he screeched.

I heard the sound of my blue curtains being yanked open and immediately moved to block the light out with my hand. It was too early and too bright.

"Niall!" he called out again.

"Shh," I attempted to placate him. If I closed my eyes even tighter, it was almost dark again. "It's sleep time."

"Niall, fucking get up now," he ordered. His voice was firm. It made him sound silly.

I held onto my sheets tightly and refused to move.

"Fine," he huffed. "If you're going to be such a brat about it, I'll just force you to get up."

Then, suddenly, he was poking and prodding me everywhere. His strong hands heavy while he attacked me.

I slapped his hands away deliriously. "Fuck off," I groaned. "Come back tomorrow."

His fingers never relented. I squirmed in my sheets.

"Go away," I repeated petulantly.

"Not until you give me back my jacket," he insisted as he gave me a hard slap in the side.

"Ow!" I whined in pain. "Leave me alone. I don't have your bloody jacket!"

"Yes, you do. Now get up!"

He started shaking me, and that's when I had no choice but to retaliate. I used my fists, elbows, and legs to punch, kick, and jab anything I came into contact with.

"Get out of my room!" I demanded. My voice still sounded sleepy. I pulled my overlarge T-shirt down so at least I could seem slightly more threatening without my "spongebob" boxer showing.

"No. You need to get up." And with that, he grabbed my sheets, yanked as hard as he could and pulled them off of my protesting body.

I looked around in a daze. I was on the floor.