XI

Iris never expected to spend as much time around Jungkook as she had

Iris never expected to spend as much time around Jungkook as she had. All the help he needed to get back on track meant that she had ended up spending more time in Jungkook's living room than she would have otherwise been comfortable with. But every visit was marked by a delicious meal Jungkook was more than happy to whip up for her and corny jokes she couldn't escape no matter how many times Iris told him to pay attention.

Jungkook was paying attention, as much as he could anyways. Things didn't seem so hard to understand when they came from her dulcet lips. She explains everything in such a tender yet concise tone, giving just the minimum required to gain his understanding so they don't waste time. He hung on every syllable, committing them all to memory like it's his gospel. Sure, he occasionally got distracted simply watching her lips move, nodding aimlessly as if he were listening until Iris pinched his neck. "Pay attention! I'm not doing this just for you to fuck around."

And he did. Enough so that when his exam came around, the words on the page didn't look like gibberish as they had before. More and more his mind was going, 'oh- yeah I know this', a feeling rather unfamiliar to him. Jungkook turned in his exam in confidence, with a smile so broad his professor almost feared he had cheated. A worry only amplified when his exam was graded and his score had doubled from his last.

"Mr. Jeon, may I speak to you for a moment?" He motioned Jungkook over to his desk on his way out of the lecture hall. His lips pursed, tongue flipping the ring on his lip back and forth and back again as he approached. "Yes sir?" He had not received the score for his test unlike his classmates and Jungkook feared that he might have failed once again.

His professor removed his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Mr. Jeon, you do understand that cheating is a serious matter?"

Jungkook was taken aback. Cheating? He hadn't cheated. "Sir- I don't know what you're talking about. I didn't cheat on anything." He was almost insulted at the accusation but he couldn't blame him, Jungkook would have thought he cheated too. "What? Has my grade improved?"

"Significantly." The professor spoke flatly, pulling out Jungkook's graded exam before putting it before him. An 87%, far better than any other exam he's taken in this class. It wasn't perfect but Jungkook wasn't looking for perfect, just passing. "I'm not exactly sure how you did it-"

"I studied." He insisted, taking the test and scanning over the grade printed onto the page. Jungkook read it over and over again, fearing that maybe he had read it wrong. But no, 87% right there on the page, just barely scraping the threshold of 90. His chest burned, almost swelled, with painful pride. The smile that stretched across his lips made his reddened cheeks ache. Jungkook almost screamed, cried, fainted, any one of the three would do.

He had to find Iris.

Jungkook didn't wait to hear anything more from his professor before he went running out of the room and through the corridors of the campus, expertly weaving his way between his fellow college-goers in an attempt to find Iris in the blur of homogenous faces. His bag beat against his back, legs pounding against the cleanly waxed floors. He pulled his phone from his pocket and fumbled around with it, trying not to drop it as he came to a halt before the elevators.