Untitled Part 57

"It's getting late. Have Roberto take you and Sasha back to the condo. These two need some sleep anyway," he pointed at his daughters. "We can manage for a little while longer."

"You're sure, sir?" He didn't think it would be okay to call Brooks by his first name right now.

"Yes," Brooks sighed the long day out of him. "I should be yelling and screaming at you right now, but Clare would never want that. You've had a busy day and probably need some rest. we'll be okay. Really. Go get some sleep."

"Thank you," was all Niel could muster. They were the weightiest words he had spoken all day long. There was so much feeling behind those words right now. Mostly, "Thank you for not strangling me and thank you for not chasing me with a gun right now" to start with. He left the room, and his wife, and put a hand on Natalie's shoulder to say hello, but she shook it off and drew him into a big hug.

He started crying all over again.

*****

It was dark when they arrived at the condo.  As they made the trek up the stairs, Roberto reminded them of the sleeping arrangements. "I cleaned up a little and we bought some groceries when I got off the phone with Sasha.

"Thanks." Sasha said as Roberto opened the door.

Charles took Sasha's bag, "Through here, off the living room."

Roberto pointed down the hall between the living room and the kitchen, "Clare's room is through there, at the end of the hall."

"Kay." Niel looked around at the cozy and comfortably decorated place liking it. "Thanks Roberto."

Roberto nodded and said, "We'll talk more tomorrow," then left.

When it was just the two of them, Sasha said, "according to Charles, the girls shared this condo until--well, now it's mostly Suzette's and she pays rent to Clare. What did you and Brooks talk about anyway?" She plopped herself on one of the bar stools in the kitchen.

"Basically how he's disappointed in me, but if I get help, we can work things out. Well, not let things go, but work on our relationship."

"That gives me hope."

"We're going to have jet lag if we don't get some sleep. It's always easier to travel West than East." He changed the subject as his eyes landed on a small picture framed by the entry closet door. One from their wedding of them feeding cake to each other. He knew he made the right choice. "It definitely does not pay to be thick-headed," he said as he moved closer to the picture. It was the one Clare had put on her nightstand in their bedroom. Sasha watched as he reached out and touched the frame, declaring "she was so beautiful that day."

After a few moments he said good night and headed down the hall to the bedroom with his belongings. He went into the master bathroom to get ready for bed and when he came out, there in all it's glory was the giant portrait she had removed from his house.

He sat on the foot of the bed and stared at the portrait for a man who gets paid to notice things, and take cues from noticing, he sure messed up and never noticed the pure joy on both their faces in this photograph until now. As he settled into bed he reminded himself, "a lot of groveling."

*****

They repeated the same thing the next day, mostly waiting in the hallway and taking turns sitting with the sisters. Niel had a lot of one way conversations while it was his turn, and received a few lectures, which he knew were well deserved. He realized the traditional values Brooks and Natalie raised their girls with were the same kinds of things he remembered his mother talking about and Sasha trying to instill, but his young, dumb self found other things, and people, to entertain. He realized Sasha truly did have is best interest at heart. He was also able to explain himself and ask forgiveness, though he knew it would take time. 

*****

Nic showed up in the cafeteria the morning with the latest tabloids. It was no secret he was there in the hospital with the Jones family. Truthfully, Niel was grateful, even after the thorough scolding Nic gave him. "I just thought I"d tell you--wait," he looked at Sasha and Niel with a grin that could be mistaken for so many things, taunting them with the papers.

"What, Nic?" Sasha demanded. "What is so funny?" She asked, trying to grab the tabloids from Nic's hands.

He held them away, asking, "Before I give you these, did you really kick Stephanie out of your house---?" He left a pause at the end of his sentence while he dangled the papers for all to see.

Sasha's face went smug as she realized what he was saying and Niel took to looking surprised.

"You didn't!" He grabbed the paper from Nic.

"Oh yes I did, Niel." She countered. "If you think for one second that a permanent gag order and restraining order is enough to stop those two from talking, you need your head examined." She said as Niel flipped through the pages.

Nic beat him to it. "And the next time Stephanie Davenport or any of her lovers come close to Niel Carter-Smith's property, or projects, or family, there will be serious litigation and he won't hesitate in the least to press charges."

Halting on the page Nic was reading from, he looked gob-smacked at his assistant.

"What?" She asked, raising her eyebrows and shrugging. "You didn't expect to take this lying down, did you? You know a seasoned narcissist will revel in this anyway, and Stephanie's history of exaggerating, I knew I needed to intervene before too much time lapsed."

"But--"Niel started.

"If you have a permanent gag order, She cant' talk. Ever." Nic Added. "You're going to be just fine, and if she talks, the words libel and slander go a long way in court. Her daddy won't like that." He smirked. "Nice work, Sasha."

"Thank you, Nic." She sipped her coffee from it's Styrofoam cup, "I do my best for my boy."

It just dawned on Niel that Stephanie was banned from his "projects?" He questioned. "Sasha, what did you do?"

"I pulled strings to get her fired, Niel. I told you it was a bad idea from the beginning, and they got Cora Benson in her place," She brushed some imaginary lint from her shirt. " told you to go that direction any way, and Ms. Benson is more than willing to get the job done with professionalism and decorum."

Niel visibly relaxed. "Thank you."

"And they postponed filming two weeks." She added. They thought February would be okay, cleared it with Sol and Cora said she'd be ready by then."

"Again, Thank you." Niel said. "you always know just what I need before I do." he rubbed his face in his hands.

"That's why I stick around. And because I loved your mother dearly like a sister." She smiled at him with a mother's love.

*****

Later that day, Sasha and Niel waited for Brooks and Natalie to exit the tiny room. It had been a while, and with a vitals check coming up, he waited a little bit longer. When the nurse came by to check the sisters, she brought three others with her.

Alarms went off in Niel's head.  Before he let panic set in , he reigned his adrenaline to ask, "What's going on? It doesn't take four people to take vitals."

"No, Mr. Carter-Smith." She said, "but it will take three of us to move your wife to another room."

"I don't understand," Sasha said hopefully as Brooks and Natalie came out the door.

"Clare woke up earlier and is resting comfortably," Natalie said. "She gets to move to another room."

"Is there anything I can do?" Niel asked.

"Get Charles a clean change of clothes, if you don't mind," Brooks said. "He hasn't changed his clothes since he got here."

Understanding filled out Niel's face and he nodded.

"Go home and get some rest. It's getting late." Natalie said, putting a hand on his arm. "Visiting hours are winding down any way," She said, "and Charles sleeps in the waiting area as it is."