🎉 FAQs 🎉

WHAT IS A "DSPM"?

DSPMs (Designated Seasonal Patrol Members) are something new we are trying out. They are a team of volunteers who help us make sure that every participant follows the rules (if you want to join as well, you can check out our Hiring Book). Their job is to thoroughly check each form, make sure the books are eligible to enter and that the participants have followed all the rules mentioned in the 'Rules and Requirements' section.

When you go fill out a form to enter your book in these contests, you will be asked to mention one of these users. This means to use the '@' sign and then type out the username of the designated member. To know which one you will need to tag, look below the genre you're entering in the 'Participant Forms' section and you will see a username. That username is the Seasonal Patrol Member you will need to tag (it sounds complicated, but it will become much clearer when you go to the forms section).

If you comment a form and all rules have been followed, your DSPM will reply with the tag #seasonalpatrol and a green check emoji.

If one or more rules have not been followed, your DSPM will state what you'll need to do in order to be accepted. If you do those things, you can let your DSPM know and they will then mark you with a green check.

When you are marked with a green check, you will also get a reply from us telling you that you are accepted.

WHAT IS THE 'PAST PARTICIPATION' BLANK ON THE PARTICIPANTS' FORM?

This is a new addition, put in place starting in Fall 2021. It is to make sure no past winners accidentally don't see the note, and try to enter. Please add the following on your form in the 'Past Participation' blank:

Winner: if the book you are entering has won a place in these contests before (note: runner-ups count as winners)
Winner, new book: if one (or more) of your books has won a place, but the book stated on your application form is a different one
Participant: if you have participated in these contests with any one of your books, but have not won
None: if this is your first time entering in our contests

WHAT SHOULD I PUT FOR 'MATURE CONTENT' ON THE FORMS?

For the mature content, 'none' means there are no scenes intended for 14+ audiences. This would mean it may have kissing scenes, a few instances where there is cursing, violence that is not depicted in-depth and/or mentions of drinking without details.
'Some' means there might be slightly more drawn-out violence scenes, cursing is ubiquitous in the book, fade to black, drinking and/or innuendos.
'Explicit' means there might be sensitive topics that can be triggering for some throughout the entire book (mental health or drugs being a main theme etc), a few graphic scenes and/or extreme violence.

Do not use 'yes' or 'no'. Use the answers above so we know you have read this part.

Note: Books that are made for the sole purpose of smut will not be accepted. If there are one or two scenes, that's fine, but if it happens every other chapter then it's not.

IF I HAVE WON ONE OF THE SEASONAL CONTESTS BEFORE, CAN I RE-ENTER?

The simple answer is no, you cannot. We want to discover new writers and if you have won before, it is not fair to the other participants. This rule applies to all the winners— 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, as well as runner-ups. However, you can still enter a new book that has not won a place in our contests if you want!

AM I ALLOWED TO BE BOTH A JUDGE AND A PARTICIPANT IN THE SAME CONTEST?

Yes, you are. However, you will need to be a judge for a genre you are not participating in.

HOW DO I ENTER?

The process is simple. On the first day of a new season (December, March, June or September) applications for participants will be released, with the title 'Participant Forms'. If you go to the correct section, you will see an example form. All you need to do is fill it out correctly and make sure you have followed all the rules.

HOW MANY BOOKS CAN I ENTER EACH SEASON?

You are allowed to enter no more than 3 books, all in different genres.

CAN I ENTER FANFICTION UNDER ANOTHER GENRE IF ALL SLOTS ARE FULL?

We have discussed this and decided that this is not possible anymore. Even if the sub-genre is Romance, Action/Adventure or something else, Fanfictions will only be accepted under the Fanfiction genre.

CAN I ENTER MY BOOK BY COMMENTING FROM A BACKUP/SECOND ACCOUNT?

No, you cannot. We have noticed in the past that a few of you have commented from your second accounts, entering a book for us to judge from your main account. This will not be tolerated and unless you comment your form with the account your book is published on, the form will not be accepted.

I WAS PREVIOUSLY A WINNER; WHY DO I NOT SEE MY BOOK IN THE READING LISTS?

After a certain period of time, your book will be removed from our reading list. This is so the reading lists don't get too cluttered and new stories can replace the old ones. At the moment, your books will be featured for a total of 6 months before they are removed (this is subject to change). This rule does not apply to any books featured in our Golden Books reading list. Addition to that list is permanent.

WHAT DO THE EMOJIS ON THE DIFFERENT PARTS REPRESENT?

All the different emojis on each of the parts do mean something:

🎉 — All participants and judges must read

☀️ — All participants and judges in the summer contest must read

🍁 — All participants and judges in the fall contest must read

❄️ — All participants and judges in the winter contest must read

🌸 — All participants and judges in the spring contest must read