A Game of Cat and Mouse

He watched the tv as he stood in the doorway of the waiting room, he was surprised he had succeeded in making it to the last game. As his eyes starred at the ads on screen his mind raced thinking of what game they may choose to end today's tournament with, eventually his name was called, and it was time to finish what he started. As he stepped into the giant coliseum, he was greeted to blinding lights and deafening applause, when his eyes had finally adjusted, he looked out to see a bunch of small towers made of sticks each of different height. He walked toward the center of what felt to be a poorly made city, as he walked, he caught a glimpse of a tiny girl running to hide in one of the towers.

"Welcome everyone to the final round of today's game!", shouted the announcer to the audience, "Lets congratulate Mr. Merrick Huxley for making it to our final round!"

Another deafening cheer emanated through the whole coliseum, Merrick could only think about the tiny girl though and how the noise must feel like her skull was being pulled in two.

The announcer soon continued saying, "For the last round we the staff of HGG(Human Giant Games) have decided to play a little old school game of Cat and Mouse, Mr. Merrick will play the role of the cat while the human will play the part of the mouse, the game will last for 5 minutes, if Mr. Merrick catches our mouse, he wins the game but if our mouse can survive for 5 minutes she wins!"

What an unusual and easy game to win, Merrick thought to himself.

"One last thing, under each of our wooden houses is a conveyer that will transport our little mouse to a different building making it more difficult for her to be located, good luck to Mr. Merrick and with that may the game BEGIN!" With that the sound of the buzzer, Merrick ran over as quick as he could to where he had seen the tiny girl, but she was gone. He noticed out of the corner of his eye a small blur of movement, he turned to see the girl running towards one of the larger houses, running over he picked up the house only to see her being taken under by the conveyer.

"CRAP", Merrick thought as he quickly and carefully started removing the buildings from the main area. The tiny girl watched from a small crack in the roof of one of the taller towers.

"Less than 3 minutes before it's over and he has nearly removed all the towers from their original spots". She continued watching as he frustratingly stomped over to her hiding spot, oblivious to the fact she was in there, frustrated he kicked the tower and sent it flying through the air with her inside it. She fell out of her hiding place and landed on the thick metal net hanging over top of the game area, terrified she tearfully clung on to the thick metal wire. One of the employees at the control panel noticed her clinging to the electric net and began shocking her, her screams of pain echoed through the coliseum alerting Merrick who had been busy with searching the rest of the houses. Worried, he tried jumping up to grab her by her shirt, he missed, 15 seconds, he hurriedly jumped again, missed, 10 seconds, with a final effort he jumped as high as he could and successfully grabbed her with less than 3 seconds to spare. The audience screamed out in joy for Merrick had won the game, but he was too busy checking on the tiny girl to care, she had been severely burned but was still breathing he noticed she had severe cuts running up and down her arms and legs. The announcer asked Merrick,

"So, what will you do now with the human?". Merrick screamed out to the announcer and audience,

"ICHOOSE TO SAVE THIS HUMAN!", the audience and announcer grew silent surprised at his response. Usually, people who won in the past chose death for the fate of the human, today would be the first time someone chose to save it. Merrick walked to the exit, he had completed what he had come there to do, rescue a human from his fellow giants. Little did he realize that by this small act it would light a fire under war to come. All humans are, are just a smaller version of us, Merrick thought as he ignored the screams of protest. As he walked to his friend's car all around him people cried out in protest and anger for how dare he save the life of a pest. It wasn't against the rules for the winner to keep the human, it was just unheard of and the people didn't like the thought of change. As he entered the back seat of his friend Atlas' car, his other friend Mia sat in the passenger seat of the car. He looked down to check if the tiny girl was still alive, she was, she was fast asleep in his hand. He knew what he was doing would make a lot of people hate him, but he already was disliked by most because he was thought of as weak.