Chapter 3 : Life with Adrien and Hugo

Marinette felt like she was floating on a cloud. A warm piece of cottony fluff suspended perfectly in space. She didn't want to open her eyes. No, not yet. That might make the sensation go away, and she was just so comfortable. Although, there was a strange nagging in the back of her mind like she was forgetting about something.

Hugo! Marinette's eyes flew open as she reached out to the spot where the little boy usually slept. A panic started to rise in her as she grabbed the empty sheet. However, her fear didn't last long. Marinette's gaze soon settled on Adrien's sleeping form, with Hugo safely snuggled against him.

It was a sight that took Marinette's breath away. Adrien lay on his side, with one arm protectively wrapped around the sleeping child. Hugo was laying on his back with his tiny face turned toward Marinette's. His small hand grasped one of Adrien's fingers.  Both of their sleeping faces were calm and relaxed in the morning light.

Marinette raised herself on her arms for a better look. It was odd, seeing their faces side by side. Marinette found herself inspecting their features more closely. Hugo's hair was a few shades darker than Adrien's, but they actually looked quite a bit alike. It was hard to notice when they were both awake because their eye colors were so very different.  But asleep, it was easy to notice the similar shapes of their mouths and noses. Marinette giggled. They might have been able to pass for brothers.

Lowering her head back onto the pillow, Marinette continued to gaze at the sleeping boys. Adrien's hair looked softer than she had ever seen it, probably because it lacked any styling product. Strangely, it reminded her of Chat Noir's shaggy locks. Marinette wished she could reach out and touch it. Would it be as soft as Hugo's baby hair? She slowly crept forward and gently kissed the top of Hugo's head.

Adrien's eyes slowly opened at the movement. Marinette froze, her blue eyes locking with his green ones. Her mouth suddenly felt dry. Oh no! She was so close to his face! Marinette felt as if she had been caught red-handed leering at his beautiful, sleeping body. She desperately hoped he wouldn't be angry.

Her fears melted away as Adrien softly smiled at her. "Good morning," he whispered.

"Good morning," Marinette whispered back, suddenly feeling very shy. She buried her face in her pillow as she felt a blush coming on. Okay, maybe she had a few old fantasies involving Adrien saying good morning to her. But those were under very different circumstances. She really shouldn't be thinking about those now.

Wait. Morning?

Marinette lifted her head out of her pillow and looked around. "Did Hugo sleep through the night?"

"He woke up a few times, but went right back to sleep when I put my hand on his belly."

"I...I..." Marinette's heart swelled with gratitude. "Thank you so much, Adrien."

"You're very welcome, Marinette." Why did his voice sound so soft when he said her name? She felt her heart beat faster. Not now. Not now. 

"Um... since it's easier for you, why don't you two stay here," Adrien asked gently. "At least until Father comes back."

Marinette felt her jaw drop as she stared back dumbly. She couldn't even talk if she tried; her tongue had forgotten how to work. Maybe she could try to blink in Morse code.

"I could help you," Adrien continued, smiling shyly. "I never got to be around a baby before. It's fun."

Marinette forced herself to swallow. "Fun? I suppose it is. I'll have to ask my parents, but Hugo likes you. A lot." Her eyes fell to the sleeping baby. "Maybe you remind him of someone he knows."

___

They left Adrien's mansion with enough time to stop by Marinette's before school started. Despite Marinette's protests that her back felt better, Adrien insisted on carrying both Hugo and the diaper bag. As they made their way back to the bakery, Marinette noticed all the attention Adrien was drawing. Though, she couldn't blame the people that gawked at him. There was just something so adorable about a guy holding a baby.