Chapter 8 : Saying Goodbye to Hugo

The alarm on Marinette's phone chimed. With a grumble, she reached up and turned off the offensive noise. It was strange, waking up alone in her own bed. In the last few weeks, she had become so used to waking up beside Hugo. Beside Adrien.

"Did you have a good nap, Marinette?" Tikki floated in front of her.

"I guess," Marinette stretched her arms overhead. "I miss my boys. And Adrien's mattress is so comfortable."

As if on cue, she heard Hugo giggle from downstairs.

Tikki sat down on the pillow. "Are you going to be okay? When it's time for Hugo to go back?"

"I always knew it was going to happen." Marinette stared up at the clouds through her skylight. "I feel like Cinderella right before midnight. I know it all goes away soon. But I'll be okay. Because, at least, I have the memories of dancing at the ball."

"But doesn't Cinderella marry her prince in the end?"

"It's just an analogy, Tikki." Marinette sighed contentedly. "But Adrien and I are closer. I don't think that's going to change. In fact, I might have to fight Nino for BFF status."

Tikki's grinned, "I don't think Adrien has ever 'almost' kissed Nino."

Marinette chuckled. "Maybe he just doesn't want to see Alya angry."

Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the trapdoor to the bedroom. "Marinette, come downstairs, please," she heard her father call.

Marinette crawled out of the covers and down the ladder of her bed. She opened the trapdoor and climbed down the stairs to the living room. Her stomach dropped when she saw a tall redhead in a blue and white bodysuit.

"Bunnyx, you... you're back." Marinette's heart started to race.

"The conflict in the child's timestream has been resolved." Bunnyx proudly stated. "It's safe for him to return. Thank you, Marinette, for all your help."

Marinette gulped. "Are you here to take him now?"

Bunnyx nodded.

"Come, say goodbye, Marinette." Sabine was holding Hugo on the sofa. "Your father and I already have."

With heavy steps, Marinette walked over and lifted Hugo out of her mother's lap. Hugo smiled and cooed at her, unaware that this was the last time they would see each other. Marinette tried to swallow, but her throat felt tight. Why was it suddenly so hard to breathe? She closed her eyes and placed her cheek against Hugo's temple. Marinette inhaled deeply, trying to remember his baby smell.

"We have to let Adrien say goodbye," Marinette choked out, blinking back tears.

Bunnyx looked back at her sadly. "I need to leave now. His parents miss him so very much."

Marinette glared at her, holding Hugo closely to her chest. "But it shouldn't matter when you leave! Don't you, like, control time?!"

"Marinette!" Sabine frowned. "There's no need to be rude."

"I don't think it's a good idea that Adrien sees me," Bunnyx replied sharply.

"No... You don't understand." Marinette pleaded. "He never got a chance to say goodbye to his mom. Hugo can't just disappear. It'll devastate him."

Bunnyx glanced down at her outfit, then back to Marinette. "The fewer people that know about me, the better. I've already waited as long as I can, Marinette. I need to get-"

"No!" Marinette stomped her foot down. "You do this for me, Bunnyx! You do this for me, or I'm never talking to our mutual friend Alix ever again!"