Chapter 2

|The Tournament|

|The Tournament|

Camelot seemed to be a lively place from what I've seen so far. Merlin had returned a little after midday and decided on showing me around the lower town. The streets were filled with rows upon rows of multicoloured strips of fabric held by a delicate string attached from one side of the street to the other, people from all over ventured around, walking busily to get somewhere. Merlin had explained that there was going to be a short tournament for anyone who wished to enter and that there were no rules.

"The Prince is the reining champion" Merlin added after going through the stages of the contest. The brutality of it was appalling, no rules meant the fights could be to the death.

"But what if someone did kill their opponent?" I asked warily. But from the look in Merlin's eyes, I had my answer. We were now walking towards the training grounds so that Merlin could help the Prince get ready, I offered to carry some of the princes armour however Merlin refused.

"How long do you think until my memories ret-" I was cut of by a huge shove toppling me to the ground earning a small shriek to escape my lungs, whilst something flew through the air with a whistle passing right where my head used to be. Turning to the right I saw a broad man, obviously not from around here, holding a crossbow, the string was loose indicating it had just been shot. My heartbeat quickened knowing what could have happened, how I could've just died if not for Merlin. "T-thank you" I forced out fear evident in my voice.

"Oy you, watch where you're shooting you oaf" I head someone yell as I began to get up before a pair of gloved hands helped me. As soon as I was back on my feet I looked at the man who stood in front of me. He wore chainmail all over with a billowing red cloak attached by a string round his neck, his dark hair flowed to just above his shoulders. His voice was jokey yet stern.

"An' what's a knight of Camelot gonna do 'bout it" a thick voice cut through the ever-growing silence that surrounded us. The attention was thankfully stuck on the two fighters, but just incase I stumbled back a bit to blend in with the crowd, standing to the right of Merlin. He noticed my uncomfortableness and stepped in front of me shielding me from any wondering eyes. I smiled sheepishly at him, silently thanking the boy.

But then all of a sudden the red cloaked man unsheathed his sword holding it out in front of the broad man who just snickered.

"Not very knightly are we" his smirk widened as he went to grab his weapon until, thankfully, Merlin butted in.

"Gwaine, stop" Merlin said harshly taking a step forward, and with much hesitance the knight complied, sheathing his weapon before heading our way.

The foreigner only laughed before scoffing and going back to the tent filled with different weapons. The knight, Gwaine, eventually made his way over to us after diffusing the crowd placing a hand on Merlin's shoulder whilst thanking him. Before turning to me.