Chapter 20

Steve and Natasha were in a cab back to the tower to see the gang after their honeymoon. They got to the 31st floor, to see that it was empty.

Steve laid on the sofa and his wife sat next to him with his head on her lap. Bruce came 8n and they both looked at him.

"Sorry." Bruce said. "I'm glad to see you guys though." He stood there awkwardly. Steve forced himself to sit up, but he was still a little tired. Bruce felt weird, so he went into the kitchen. Steve and Natasha looked at each other and raised an eyebrow.

Soon after, the rest of the gang appeared and they were talking about what Steve said on the news. Every so often, Steve would walk over to the corner of the room by himself. He did it again, but this time, Natasha followed him to see why he was doing it. Steve reached the corner of the room and rested his head on the wall. Natasha approched him and rubbed his back. "What's wrong, Steve?" She asked in her concerned voice.

"I kind of regret what I said to the news reporters now. I wish I never said anything." He looked over at her.

"It's okay. I would have done it." She kissed him and brought him over to the sofa again. She sat him down and gave him a glass of water. Once he had finished, Natasha took the glass into the kitchen and sat next to Steve on the sofa. She let him rest his head on her and she was concerned. Natasha called Pepper over to see if Steve had fallen ill. Pepper felt his head and said, "He has a bit of a temperature." She looked over at Natasha who thanked her, then Pepper left to go back to the others.

Natasha decided to put Steve to bed at 20:30, as he was getting worse by the minute. He lost his voice and had quite a few headaches. Natasha changed Steve's clothed and tucked him into bed. She kissed him goodnight and he was out like a light. She left to go back upstairs and worried about him the rest of the night.

When everyone went to bed, Natasha went to Steve's room. She went into the bedroom to find him sitting on the edge of the bed, slouching. She ran to him and laid him down. "What are you doing? You're meant to be resting!" She whispered to him.

"I wanted to see you." He managed to say with the voice he had left.

"Shhh. I'm here now." She hushed him like he was a baby. Natasha gently put him down on the bed. She took a shower and got changed. She got into bed beside Steve and watched him until he slept. She soon fell asleep too and Steve put his arm around her. Natasha had her face buried in his chest and she looked up then kissed his neck.

At 9:00 in the morning, Natasha woke up. She got out of bed and prepared for the day. She stayed watching Steve sleep until 9:30, then went down to the 15th floor to get a paramedic who worked at S.H.I.E.L.D.

They entered Steve's room and into the bedroom. Steve was still there sleeping. The paramedic ran some tests and took a bit of blood. "Steve has a very serious fever. It cannot do more than just make his throat sore, him losing his voice, having headaches and loss of strength. However, when he gets better, he'll be as right as rain." The paramedic was careful not to wake Steve up. Natasha nodded and the paramedic was gone. She sat next to Steve who started to wake up. Natasha was reading one of the Hobbit books, when Steve put a hand on Natasha's leg with his face in his pillow. Natasha put down the book and held Steve's hand. Steve tried to speak, but no sound came out. Natasha hushed him again and kissed his forehead. She

told Steve she had to go and that he should rest. Steve nodded his head half asleep. Before Natasha left, she said, "Promise me you won't get up." Steve nodded again and managed a smile.

Natasha entered the 31st floor by herself. "Where's Steve?" Bruce asked. The rest of the gand looked at her.

"He's too ill to get out of bed. The paramedic said he has a serious fever." She grinned, but looked down at the ground. Pepper went over to Natasha and said, "He'll be alright though, I think. He is a super soldier after all." Natasha nodded and remembered Steve's pale face.

At 13:00, Steve texted Natasha for her to go to him. "I'm just gonna go check up on Steve." Natasha said as she headed for the lift.

Natasha opened the bedroom door and Steve started coughing violently. Natasha rushed to get him a glass of water and he stopped coughing after. She pushed back Steve's hair and kissed his forehead, while he lay there helpless. Natasha held his hand which was rested beside him with no life.

Tony soon came in and saw Steve and Natasha. Steve moved his eyes to Tony, as his body seemed paralyzed. Tony went over and gave Steve some medicine. It was even a struggle for Steve to swallow it.