Chapter 11: The Decision

Snape, for the first time, realises the gravity of his current situation. He has a younger version of Voldemort sitting before him. It's all well and good to assert 'I won't ruin him like Dumbledore did', but what if he does? What if after all this... Voldemort begins again? Rescuing him from Lestrange will have been futile. He knows what the Ministry would want, which is exactly the reason he can't tell them. Snape did a lot of things undercover as a Death Eater, but his hands remain clean of the blood of a child.

"Tommy," he sits opposite the little wizard in his study. Lupin is distracting Harry at home, which allowed Snape to escape the clutches of his very clingy son. "You're five, right?"

"Yeah," he plays with his hands.

"Alright," how do I approach this with a little kid? It was easier with Harry, as he was much younger and wouldn't have questioned the reality of his dreams. "Do you ever have memories that feel like they aren't your own?"

Tommy nods.

"Can you tell me about them?"

"They're scary," he leans closer to Snape and whispers, as if ghosts surround him, listening. Waiting. "Sometimes there's fire,"

"That sounds frightening," Snape agrees. So he does have memories of Tom Riddle. Those are dangerous. "Well, you have a choice now,"

"What is it?" Tommy tilts his head cutely.

"I can get you a new second name, one that isn't Lestrange. I'll drop you off my a Muggle orphanage, where you may remain if you wish. Or-" Snape exhales deeply, steeling himself for the offer he's about to make. This child is the same man who murdered hundreds. Including Lily. "-you can remain with me, as Harry's younger brother,"

"Harry?!" Tommy gasps. "I can be Harry's brother?"

"If he agrees,"

Tommy thinks about it for a while, longer than Snape thought he would. This isn't an impulsive child. He's calculating. He weighs the consequences of his actions. He's still Voldemort. "Yeah... I wanna be Harry's brother,"

"Well, perhaps we should ask him,"

Snape stands to his full, imperious height and takes Tommy's hand in his own. The mousey-haired child follows him through to the sitting room, where Harry and Lupin watch a replica of the Hogwarts train complete its route across the carpet tracks. Snape clears his throat, gathering their attention.

"Hello Dad," Harry grins. "Come and watch the train!"

"In time. Thomas has something he wishes to ask you," Snape nudges him forward. "Go on,"

Tommy gulps down his nervousness. Harry has been really nice, but he's also older and kind of intimidating with all his energy. "Can I stay an' be your b'other... please?"

Harry blinks, a little surprised. He looks up at Snape. "I thought he was already staying Daddy,"

Tommy (and Snape) take that as a yes, and tentatively, Tommy kneels down beside Harry. "Can I see the train for a second?"

"Kay," Harry gives it to him and they begin playing.

*

Snape sneaks Lupin into the bedroom and closes the door.

"That's it, then?" Lupin asks curiously. "He's staying permanently,"

Snape nods. "I'll inform the Headmaster. He can make the arrangements. He has some favours to pull at the Ministry,"

"So now it's official. You have two children,"

"I suppose I do," Snape hadn't really thought about it before. He now has two children. Harry has a brother. He has a real family, something he was stripped from in his first cycle of childhood. Now, he has the chance to experience a real sibling and a real parent. Not a bullying cousin and abusive uncle.

"Is there something else we should make official?"

Snape meets Lupin's eyes for the first time during this conversation. "I have never... been in a relationship. Not a requited one at least,"

"What have we been in for the past year?"

"I... suppose..." Snape drags out his voice, leaning on the windowsill. "How shall we tell the children?"

"That were together," Lupin shrugs. "They'll understand,"

"Perhaps we can find them a name to call you other than 'Uncle Remus', then,"

"Oh, I don't know. I rather like it,"

"We could make it official," Snape decides, finally. "However, I'm not the only one affected by such a decision,"

"You're right, can we go ask the kids?"

"Of course,"

They return to the sitting room, tentatively watching the boys play through the ajar door. Snape steps through first, although Remus notices his stiff shoulders. He clears his throat. "Children,"

They look up from their trim set, the Hogwarts Express slowing to a stop mid-journey. "Daddy!" Harry whines. "All the students are going to be late!"

"Don't worry, I shan't keep them," Snape nudges Lupin. "This is your question not ask them,"

With a mild stutter, Remus asks. "Harry, a-and Tom, would you like Uncle Remus to be your parent too, the same as Daddy is?"

Tommy looks at Harry, shrugging. He just got here after all.

Harry nods almost immediately. "Yeah! I do. But... what would I call you? I already have Daddy,"

The men exchange glances, having not the first idea. "...Father?" Snape suggests.

"Doesn't that work more for you?" Remus wrinkles his nose at the name. "You're the more serious one,"

"No!" Harry runs over and grabs Snape, wrapping around his legs. "Daddy!"

He points to Lupin. "Fa'her!"

Lupin sighs.

"It appears you're stuck with it," Snape winks to his... partner? Yet another label to think of.