Chapter Seven

MATTHEW'S POV

"Outside or inside?" We stood at the edge of the sun-drenched patio, and I glanced at Remi's handsome face.

"It'd be nice to sit in the sun."

He followed me over to a small table with a large parasol and we took our seats opposite each other. We sat in silence for a minute, reading the menus as the awkward tension simmered between us. I wasn't sure how to talk to a man like Remi. I wanted to sound intelligent, smart like him, but everything that came out of my mouth sounded silly.

Glancing over my menu, I watched him. I wanted to get to know him better. To understand him, talk to him about art and culture and all the beautiful things the world had to offer. He seemed so mysterious to me and yet comforting. It was the oddest thing ever.

I'd already resigned myself to the fact that he wouldn’t be interested in anything happening between us. But I enjoyed his company, so I was happy to spend the day with him.

"I'm getting a Pizza Isabella. What are you thinking of getting?" I said.

"The same."

I threw him a devilish smile. "Really? Who'd have known we'd have so much in common. You know what people say? If you like the same pizza, then you're made for each other."

"Is that so? I’ve never heard that one." Remi looked embarrassed, and my stomach flipped a little. I hadn't been this attracted to a man in a long time. There was something about him that undid my very being. I almost wanted to paint him, to try and capture whatever it was that made him so special.

We ordered our food and two glasses of red wine and sat back in the warm shade under the large white umbrella.

"This place is nice. It's a lot less stuffy than the usual places I frequent." Remi looked around and leaned back into the chair. He looked like he belonged on a silver screen movie set.

"I can imagine. I bet you dine in the finest of restaurants."

He smiled, and I knew I was right.

I looked around the sunny patio. "I like it here, because it's relaxed and the food is good. Sometimes, simple is all you need."

The real reason I'd brought him here was because I knew I could afford it. I had a total of thirty euro in my pocket, and a pizza and glass of wine was fifteen on their lunchtime saver menu.

There was no way I was going to risk going somewhere Remi chose for lunch in case I couldn't afford it. And I wasn't about to let him pay for me either. Just because I was struggling didn't mean I wouldn't pay my own way. My parents had offered to help me out financially numerous times, and I refused them each and every time. I was going to make it on my own. Well, mostly on my own. If Remi could help me get a contact in a gallery, then that was help I would accept.

We ate and chatted, the conversation flowing easily between us. Remi was one of those rare people that could captivate you. I imagined he could hold an entire room’s attention with his stories. He'd traveled all over the world and lived such an incredible life. Despite trying my best to remain cool, I found myself resting my elbows on the table and my chin in my hands, hanging on his every word.

"You've lived such a life. God, I feel like I've done nothing so far."

"Well, I'm a lot older than you. You've plenty of time to catch up." Remi smiled, and I wanted to ask him how old he was. It had been eating at me since the day we'd met.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"You can ask it." He winked at me, and I blushed.

"You don't have to tell me, but how old are you? I'm twenty-seven." I noticed his eyebrows rise at my age, and then he folded his arms casually and tilted his head, dark eyes shining in the sunlight.

"I'm forty-nine. I'll be fifty in December."

"What date? Are you Sagittarius or Capricorn?"

He chuckled and the sound of his laughter warmed every inch of my body. Every. Inch.

"I don't believe in that stuff, but if you must know, I'm the sixteenth. So, Sagittarius."

"Nice. I'm October the tenth. I'm a Libra, balanced and level." I threw him a grin, and he laughed again to my delight.

"You're so wonderfully odd, Matthew. You know that?"

I was about to reply when the waitress reappeared with the dessert menus. Shit, please don't order anything.

"Want to share something?" Remi looked at me, and I knew I couldn't afford it, but I said yes. I wanted to share everything with him.

"How about some tiramisu? Oh, and how about a cappuccino?" he asked.

I nodded, sucking in oxygen as the growing bill threatened to suffocate me.

The waitress returned with our dessert and our foaming coffees. I couldn't afford to pay for both of us now, so I'd have to try to get him to split the bill. I hated being so broke. It was humiliating. Especially when I wanted to make a good impression on someone as wonderful and successful as Remi.

He had soft lines all along his eyes, each one adding to his good looks. He looked so different to most of the men I met. It was like he had an old school vibe which gave him the appearance of a gentleman. My mind wandered into dangerous territory, as I imagined what he'd look like undressed, and in my dirty thoughts he was far from gentlemanly.

"What have you planned for the rest of today then?" he asked.

I snapped up, caught in the middle of my naughty thoughts, and I blushed. Shit.

"Eh, nothing. I'll probably head out for a stroll around the city for a while. I try not to hang around the apartment too much. I don't want to be in everyone's way."

Remi's expression caught me off guard, and I immediately regretted sharing that.

"I can understand. Well, why don't you spend the rest of today with me? I've to go into the office, and then I'm heading to Banville's auction house. That could be fun. And by fun, I mean utterly boring."

It was obvious what he was doing. He was feeling sorry for me, taking pity on the fact that I felt in the way. Because I was in the way. Living in someone’s house because I had literally no other place to go. Homeless. Christ, things were shittier than even I had allowed myself to realize.

"That's okay. I'd only be in your way then."

"Not at all. I could do with someone young and strong to help me carry some of the pieces. I don't trust the auction house's movers to package and transport. I do that myself or get my team to do it."

I should have said no, to not burden this man with my pathetic life. But I wanted to be in his company so badly, to spend just a little longer with him. "Well, as long as you're sure."

Remi's face lit up, and I felt my own mouth upturn and mirror his smile.

"I’m positive. Drink up your coffee and we'll get going. I'll go and pay."

I scrambled for my wallet, standing as I pulled out the only cash I had. "No, let me--"

"Absolutely not. I can write this up as a business expense. You can pay next time."

I sat back into my seat and smiled.

Next time?