Chapter Thirteen

MATTHEW'S POV

The walk into the village was short. With the sunshine beaming down on us, Remi and I strolled together, wrapped in a bubble of happiness. I was done trying to understand what was happening between us. It was fast, and it was crazy. But it was real. I knew it was. I could feel it.

The way he looked at me, how he kissed me. Even his desperation earlier as we’d clambered against each other before his friend had interrupted us. It was real. I needed to believe that Remi wanted me for longer than this weekend.

The village was no more than a main street with beautiful buildings oozing character. It was the postcard image of a country village, all the way down to the river with the old stone bridge. For the weekend, they’d put on a summer fête, and everyone was out, enjoying the entertainment and all the fun.

“It’s so beautiful here. You must have loved growing up in such a quaint place. I grew up in a dingy town where most of the shops were closed down, and the most excitement we had was buying a packet of chips and eating them outside the cinema.”

Remi looked around and waved to a group of people who waved back. “I like it now, but when I was younger, I didn’t realize how great it was. I couldn’t wait to leave and get to the city. But even that hadn’t been enough excitement for me. So I went to London and spent decades there and traveling around the world.”

“How did you end up back here then?”

“It wasn’t until I reached my forties and life dealt me a few hard blows. I, uh… it made sense to come back. I needed the sense of belonging somewhere again. Does that make sense?”

I nodded. “I totally understand. I’m lost right now, especially not having a regular place to stay. It really fucks with your head and with your sense of security.”

It was true. The constant moving from couch to couch, trying to get part time work, and not quit my dream of being an artist was slowly chipping away at my confidence and my resilience.

Smiling at Remi, whose face had quirked into a surprised smile, I continued, “I like it here.”

“You do?”

“Uh-huh. It feels peaceful and calm and friendly. And I like being in the countryside. There’s something very creatively inspiring about it.”

He chuckled. “You are very interesting, Matthew. One of a kind.”

“That’s what my mom says. Though I doubt she means it in the same way you do.”

We made our way around the different stalls, every few steps bumping into people Remi knew. He introduced me as his friend, and it made me fizz with happiness. I felt special being by his side, and I had no idea why.

When we spotted Sean coming over the bridge, I wanted to run and hide.

“Well, if it isn’t the love birds. How are you both? Apologies for the intrusion earlier. But in my defense, I wasn’t expecting you both to be--"

Thank you, Sean. That’s quite enough.” Remi cut him off, and I watched with amusement as both men grinned at each other.

Sean turned to me then and smiled. “Sorry, Matthew. Just couldn’t miss the opportunity to wind Remington up. Are you enjoying the fête? The weather is really nice today.”

I blushed, remembering his face as he’d walked in and caught me spread out on the kitchen table. Christ, that was no way to meet your potential boyfriend’s friends.

“I’m having a good time, thanks. Everyone is very friendly. I’m so used to people ignoring me in the city.”

He squeezed my shoulder gently and winked. “It’s nice to have you here. You seem to put a smile back on my friend's grumpy face.” He turned back to Remi and continued, “You okay for Monday? It’s at seven. Just the usual suspects. I’m cooking a roast.”

Remi nodded. “Yes, I’ll be there. No way I’d miss my best friend’s birthday.”

I looked between them, feeling uneasy as I understood what they were talking about. Remi had an entire life, and I knew nothing about it. Why would I? But I felt almost jealous that other people got to be with him, laugh with him, while I might not have much longer than this weekend.

“You’re welcome to come if you’re still around?” Sean was talking to me and caught me off guard with the invite.

“I’m leaving tomorrow evening, but thanks anyway.” I swallowed hard, avoiding Remi’s gaze which I could feel burning into me. There was no way I was going to even look at him and give him the idea that I wanted to stay.

I mean, obviously I did, but I knew I couldn’t. He’d invited me for the weekend, and my train ticket back to Dublin was booked for Sunday evening. Oh, and I barely knew him for a week. Yeah, that was enough reason to slow the hell down and not get carried away.

“That’s a pity. Maybe next time then. I’ll leave you to it. Talk to you later.” Sean set off through the wandering groups of people, and I wondered whether I would ever see him again. Was there going to be a next time?

“You thirsty?” Remi was staring at me, concern in his brown eyes.

“Yes. I’d love something cold.”

We made our way to the small coffee shop that was set in a converted stone mill.

“Honestly, this entire village is like a movie set. I’m in love,” I said, staring up at the stunning building and feeling my mind jump alive with ideas. “It would make a fantastic painting. What with the river beside it, and the wildflowers growing along the bridge... It’s dreamy.”

“Why don’t you paint it?” Remi smiled at me, and I wanted to ask him then if he wanted me to visit again. I wanted to know if he wanted me, full stop. But no words came, and instead, I slid into a seat in the shade and waited for him to return with ice cold drinks.

We’d barely taken two sips when I heard the screams of excitement.

“Uncle Remi!” Aileen raced at breakneck speed and landed in his arms in a fit of giggles. A second later, Siobhan appeared, carrying little Elva, with Christopher hauling a huge teddy behind him.

“We won it at the fair. I didn’t think Aileen was going to choose the largest one,” Christopher explained as he held up the giant teddy.

Remi chuckled and nodded towards the river. “Want to feed the ducks, girls?”

Aileen jumped with excitement, grabbing at his hand and pulling him up. I smiled at how cute they were together, and I wondered what Remi would have been like as a dad. Had he ever even wanted kids? Probably not with such a busy career that required so much travelling.

Yes, I didn’t know much about him, but something told me Remi had closed himself off a long time ago, broken by life and whatever it was that caused that darkness behind his smile. But I’d seen glimpses of something shining through the cracks and I was intent on setting it free.