Bittersweet Goodbyes

Pairings: Bucky x Daughter!Reader, Bucky x Anna

Words: 1.0k~

Warnings: Moving away from home.

—-

The night was restless, again. Bucky turned on his side, the opposite one from last time, but comfort wasn't his ailment. His mind was too busy to leave him to rest, and the weight on his chest too heavy to let his mind stop running around. There was nothing to ease his heart, except what he knew was impossible, so he was left in the bitter misery of sleeplessness. Would it truly be horrible of him to ask her to stay? His princess, his little girl, his bundle of joy wrapped up in the fabric of his daughter, he wasn't ready to let her go off into the world just yet. Everything ached with the thought of having to say goodbye, to hug her off into the unknown, to kiss her forehead to repel any heartache she was to encounter. He ached with every thread that bound him together. She was moving away, leaving home to venture into the world, to face battles he could no longer fight for her, with her. He couldn't be there through everything anymore.

Bucky tossed his legs over the edge of the bed, sitting up to rest his head in his hands. There was nothing he could do. He heaved a heavy breath as he lifted his eyes around the room, the moonlight flickered through the windows, an eerie white glow on the floorboards. Blue lights told of the midnight hours, hinting at the peak of morning, but it was too far away and yet not far enough away. He dreaded when the sunlight was to rise over the horizon.

The movement behind him drew his attention and soon his wife shuffled beside him, her hair is tied in a loose braid over her shoulder, and her pink nightgown shimmering in the soft light. Her hand slipped into his as she spoke, softly and quietly, "You've been tossing and turning all night..."

"Sorry," he said, leaning against her more as she pulled him closer, "I'm just thinking."

She rested her head on his shoulder, asking, "What's on your mind?"

"She's leaving tomorrow Anna..."

Anna tensed but soon relaxed, "I know...Kids grow up, Buck, it's how this works."

"She's...She's so young, there's still so much she doesn't know. There's so much she's going to face on her own and I can't—there's nothing I can do."

"You can always do something," Anna said, and Bucky turned to face her, "You can be there for her. When she calls because nothing seems to be right, you can always go to her, hold her. You might not be able to fix everything, but...but you can always love her through it."

Bucky sighed, shaking his head, "I'm not ready for this."

"...I'm not either," she whispered, letting out a heavy breath as her throat began to knot up. Bucky shifted and wrapped an arm around her, pulling her close. The air was thick with all the things they wish they could do and the words that would never be enough to say. They breathed in their heavy hearts, strangled by its chains, and longed for something they knew wouldn't come.

The rattle of the door handle caught both their attention and they rose to their feet, a sniffle on the other side forcing them both to relax and Bucky walked over and opened the door. There you stood, wrapped up in your blanket, a pillow caught in your arms, and surprise written on your face.

"Oh, um...sorry, I-I was just—" you stuttered, but the words died on your tongue with a sniffle.

"Is everything okay?" Bucky asked, the light not being enough to show your red eyes, but he could see enough of the sadness on your face to break his heart.

"Can I sleep in here tonight?"

Bucky didn't hesitate to answer, pulling you inside, "Yeah, come on."

He wrapped his arms around you when you sniffled again, shushing you gently, "Hey, I've got you, what's wrong?"

You shook your head as the knot in your throat grew tighter, choking on your words, "I'm really going to miss you guys..."

Bucky's heart shattered and he held you tighter, Anna moving beside you to run a hand down your back, "We're gonna miss you too kid," he whispered, pressing a kiss to your head, "So much, every day, but it's going to be okay."

"I know I need to go to college, but...moving away..."

"I know, Sweetheart, it's hard right now, but it'll get easier after a little while," he said, trying to give you the reassurance you need despite wanting to tell you, you never have to leave. He wanted to tell you to stay, but for the greater good, he bit his tongue and swallowed his tears, knowing you'll never grow if you never leave the nest.

"And you can always visit," Anna said, brushing some of your hair back as she hovered close.

"Yes," Bucky said, pulling you back, wiping the silent tears from your eyes, "Come and visit now and then? Please?"

You nodded quickly, falling back in his arms, "Of course I'm going to visit. All the time, as much as I can."

"Good," Anna laughed wetly, "We look forward to it."

"And if something happens, you call me, alright?" Bucky insisted, "I'll be there in a heartbeat."

"I will."

"And hey, NYU is just down the street from the Tower, I'll be around more often than you'd like me to be. You'll be sick of me."

You chuckled, "That's impossible."

"I'll prove you wrong," he said, and you laughed, pulling away from him. He kissed your head before your mom pulled you in for a hug.

"Alright, why don't we try and sleep, you've got a big day tomorrow..." Anna said, wiping the tear tracks from your cheeks before kissing your forehead, and you nodded. The three of you climbed into the king-sized bed, you squished between the two of them because they insisted there wasn't enough room and they needed to be that close. You chuckled and smiled, drifting off to sleep in the arms of your parents. The ones who would be there no matter the costs, and no matter the consequences. You might be leaving home, but you'd never be leaving them. You are family, and even parted, nothing could break that bond.

———-