Common Announcment

Warnings: Mentions of abandonment

The energy vibrating in the room makes you smile as you place the last couple dishes in the dishwasher, your mom skipping around dancing as she wipes off the dinner table. Ok, maybe not skipping, but she's definitely more cheerful than normal, a little extra spin in her step as she drops the washcloth in the sink.
You almost laugh as you toss the soap pod in the dishwasher and start it, "You're staring again."

She smiles when you look back at her, her eyes sparkling in a way you haven't seen in a long time, "You finished?" She asks, gesturing to the kitchen.

"You're usually the one telling me whether or not I am," you joke and she stares at you desperately and you bite back a laugh at how she can barely stay in one place, "Yes, I'm done," you finally say and she takes your hand, dragging you to the living room and plopping you on the couch.

She paces slightly before finally sitting down on the coffee table in front of you, taking a deep breath as she does her best to become serious, and as you look closely, you notice her fingers fidgeting with each other as she starts talking.

"I met someone," she says and your smile falters, "Now hold on a moment before you start, I know I've brought home several guys before and most of them turned out as trash, but he's different, alright?"

You stare at her in bewilderment, shoulders slouching as your eyes dim, amusement replaced with a sense of hopeless exhaustion, "How serious is it? How long have you even known him?"

Your mother takes your hand, almost pleading for you to understand, "I've been seeing him for a while now. It started off sort of unconventional, so I thought it would end, but now it's looking like it could really be something, and I figured it's time I told you," she says and the way she is looking at you tells you she's serious, she genuinely believes in this new person, that he could be it for her. The hope that radiates off her is something you haven't seen in years, the new life that seems to have filled her lungs settles the matter in your mind and you sigh, letting a crack of a smile peak on your lips.

"Does he at least chew with his mouth closed? 'Cause if I have to sit at a table and listen to another guy smack his lips, getting a full view of his masticated dinner, I am going to kill either him or myself, and then I'm going to haunt you," you say while crinkling your nose in disgust and your mother lets out a relieved laugh, her body relaxing as she jumps into the seat next to you and presses a kiss to your forehead.

"Yes, he chews with his mouth closed," she says and once again takes your hand in hers, her dirty blonde hair framing her face and her brown eyes revealing the amount of exhaustion she has held over the last several years, "He's got his flaws and a few demons, but I really like him. He's really sweet and he treats me well."

"Do I at least get to know his name?" you tease and her face twists, "Wait, you are going to tell me his name, right?"

Your mother laughs awkwardly, "Yeah, obviously, it's just—well you know how I said it all started out unconventional?" she asks and you nod, "Alright, well..."

"Mom, the name, spill the name."

"James Barnes," she answers and your jaw drops.

"The James Barnes? As in, James Buchanan Barnes, Winter Soldier Barnes, Best friend of Steve Rogers a.k.a. Captain America, the newest member of the Avengers James Barnes?" you sputter while your mother's smile continues to grow.

"Yes, yes, yes, James Buchanan Barnes, born March 10, 1917, prisoner of war, Howling Commando, redeemed to hero, savior of my coffee," your mother, Anna, states dramatically as you just continue to stare in disbelief.

You chuckle lightly when it finally settles in your brain, shaking your head as you lean back into the couch, "Dang, mom, I knew you liked older men, but don't you think that's kinda reaching a bit far?"

Anna gasps and smacks your arm, "He's only 30-something physically!"

"Late thirties early forties," you add, "If he was born in 1917 and fell off the train in 1944, then he was about 28 when he, quote unquote, died. Then you take into consideration training, healing, missions, experiments, all that stuff and then the fact that he's been 'awake' since 2013, and it's 2020 now, and that adds another 7 years, so..." you pause for dramatic effect as your mother give you the official 'what the heck' look, "He's gotta be at least 36 or 37, and even then, I'd say probably a bit older."
Anna bewilderedly stares at you, and you shrug, "I did a paper on him in 9th grade," you say nonchalantly, but the teasing glint in your eyes shifts into something more serious, "Just be careful with this one, alright?"

Anna smiles sweetly and nods, and you lean into her touch as she brushes some of the hair out of your face, "Don't worry, I will. And hey, he's different, okay?"

You nod slowly and allow your mother to talk about her boyfriend. It isn't that your mom hops from person to person, when she is with someone, she is in it for the long run, but unfortunately, not many of the guys she was with previously had the mind to stay, especially when they find out she has a daughter. Your mom offers details of who Bucky, as he apparently liked to be called, is when she's around him, she attempts to ease you into the relationship as smoothly as possible, hoping that you will give him a chance to prove himself to you. She knows how you shut people out, and part of her blames your father, the fact he walked out on you without so much of a care in the world not even a year after you were born caused a lot of heartache she knows you refuse to talk about. Despite the facade you portray, she has seen the longing in you whenever you see a father and his child, and it breaks her heart every time. She's tried to make up for it in different ways, but when truth boils down into reality, she knows that nothing can replace the gaping hole in your life in the shape of a father.

However, hope tingles up her spine at the thought of Bucky as she spills her guts to you, wrapping around her in a soft blanket and enveloping her in a warm embrace. He will be different.

After Anna sends you to bed with a kiss goodnight, she readies herself for sleep, and once she is finally tangled up in her blankets, she leans against the headboard and pulls out her phone, pressing on the message box for James. Her teeth nip into her lip as she attempts to stop her growing smile as she types out her text.

Anna, 9:57 pm: I told her.
Bucky, 9:57 pm: How'd she take it?
Anna, 9:57 pm: That was fast, what? Where you just sitting there waiting for my text?
Bucky, 9:58 pm: Sorta. How'd she take the news?
Anna, 9:58 pm: She took it as best she could. I think she is nervous about it. She doesn't talk to me about this stuff, just shuts me out.
Anna, 9:59 pm: I can tell she wants me to be happy, but other than that, I can't get a read on her.
Anna, 10:03 pm: you there?
Bucky, 10:04 pm: Yeah...
Anna, 10:04 pm: what's going on in that head of yours?
Bucky, 10:05 pm: Just
Bucky, 10:05 pm: do you think she'll like me?
Bucky, 10:05 pm: I know it's going to take time, but what if she doesn't end up liking me?
Anna, 10:06 pm: James, she is going to love you. I've seen the way you act around kids, I know how protective you get of people. Now listen, it'll take time, but y.n. will see you as you are. A sweet and kind man, a gentleman, and one who cares deeply. She will love you for your qualities and morals. You don't have anything to worry about.
Bucky, 10:07 pm: I hope so. Not sure what I'm going to do if she doesn't...
Anna, 10:07 pm: Besides, she already wrote a paper on you.
Bucky, 10:08 pm: wHaT?!
Anna, 10:08 pm: We'll figure it out.
Anna, 10:08 pm: XD yeah, apparently it was an assignment for her school back in 9th grade.
Bucky, 10:09 pm: Damn, odd topic...
Anna, 10:09 pm: eh, not really, probably just over the Howling Commandos. You guys are a pretty big part of history.
Bucky, 10:10 pm: I guess.
Bucky, 10:11 pm: I should let you go to sleep, you've got work and Steve is going to wake me up at the buttcrack of dawn to go for a run.
Anna, 10:11 pm: Alright, g'night, sleep well, don't let the monster under your bed eat your toes.
Bucky, 10:11 pm: you're so weird... goodnight, sleep well.
Anna, 10:11 pm: What about my toes!
Bucky. 10:11 pm: eh, the monster can have 'em
Anna, 10:12 pm: BUcKy!