18

Chapter Eighteen - Appetizer

It's finally January and I'm free from grading and the Christmas festivities. After a few days of not seeing Theo in person I've invited him over for an impromptu date night at home. I want to spend some time with him before work starts up again in two weeks. We rang in the new year with our families and grandma spent the long weekend with us which was amazing. Aria certainly enjoyed the endless cuddles and baked treats.

Theo doesn't know I've planned a date so I'm excited to see what he thinks. I make sure everything is ready before setting the table and tidying up. But just as I'm about to go change into something nicer the doorbell rings. I know for certain it's Theo and walk over to open the door.

"You're early!" I pout and he shoots me a confused smile.

"I didn't know I was supposed to arrive at – wow." He breathes once he sees the sitting room all set up.

There's candles, string lights and rose petals everywhere. The double doors to the kitchen are open where the dining table is in view. I've decorated it with candlesticks, a vase of roses and nice tableware. I close the door and stop in front of him with a nervous smile.

"Sunshine, this is amazing! You didn't have to do this. I know you must be tired." He murmurs as he hugs me.

"Absolutely not!" I shake my head as I turn in his arms to face him. "All my time has been taken up by exams, grading, and Aria's parent-teacher meetings. Let me make it up to you."

"Char –"

"For once don't be stubborn!" I plead and he sighs defeatedly before playfulness glints brightly in his eyes.

"Well, if you're so adamant on making it up to me I have some suggestions on how else we can spend our night."

I fight the blush threatening to stain my cheeks once I remember our night the day after Christmas. Ever since then I've been craving his touch and kisses more.

"Whatever you want tonight you'll have." I wind my arms around his neck before whispering. "Just name it."

We stare into each other's eyes and the intensity in his leaves me breathless. The tension between us has been building like a rope coiling tighter and tighter. I can't deny any longer how much I want us to go further and I know Theo feels the same, especially from the teaser a week ago.

He pushes closer until his lips are just a breath away. I tilt my head slightly upwards in desperation to make them collide with mine but he pulls away at the last second. Chuckling huskily at my immediate pout he finally gives in and kisses me. I melt against him and like always he's there to steady me.

"Fuck sunshine." He groans once we break away. "Do we have to eat dinner first?"

"Dinner first. But don't worry you can have me for dessert later." I wink and chuckle when he bites his lip. "Come on, I made your favorite."

I reveal the duck dish and the sides along with his favorite wine. "You're really spoiling me tonight aren't you? Sorry for ruining the surprise."

I laugh in response and nod as we take our seats. "That's okay. As long as you don't mind that I'm in a sweater and leggings."

"I think you look very fancy." He teases and I roll my eyes playfully.

We dig in and I feel proud when it tastes as good as it looks. I don't cook duck quite often so I've been anxious to see if it turned out alright. We talk about the past few days and what we've been up to. Although we've been texting almost every day it's not the same.