March Of Progress (Old Version)

My mind was slowly kicking into gear, sloughing off dust and old grease as I woke up from my short but well needed rest, muscles tensing and relaxing as I wiped the sleep from my eyes and tried to get further up on the bed.

I stretched and yawned as my arms shook from the tension and several resounding pops echoed in my ears, until a different sound reached them.

At first a twinge of fear came to mind as I thought back to the event we went through two days prior and for a moment I was worried if those FBI agents had come back in the time I was asleep to take me captive against my will or something of the sort but that fear quickly passed as my eyes adjusted to the light in the room and revealed that it was only a nurse opening the blinds.

I took a breath and began to climb down from my short spell as the nurse turned around and took notice of the fact that I was now awake and aware of her presence.

"Sorry," She said in a hushed tone and smiled, "I didn't mean to wake you."

"It's fine." I responded after a moment of pause.

"Did you have a good night's sleep? You had a big day yesterday and we were worried that you might have overexerted yourself."

The memory of the day before came to mind, Enterprise had devoted her time to distracting me from all that unpleasantness by occupying me with things to keep focused on, spending most of it on exercising the muscles and teaching me how to play multiple different types of games she knew.

With several of the beads from our game of Mancala being lost in the cloth I rested in, as such we went a few hours into the night being distracted by our games before actually going to sleep but despite this, I was actually feeling more well-rested and awake than I had with a full nights sleep.

"I did, though we probably spent a bit too much time playing card games than we should have."

She chuckled and moved onto the other blinds in the room, "Well that's good to hear, I was a little bit worried that you might not have been up to it."

"Up to... what, exactly?" I asked her, confused.

"Progress on your ship's repairs have advanced drastically and the doctors now think that you might be up to a little exploring around the base, beyond the things you have already been shown."

My eyes widened and my heart picked up as I processed the information, "Really?!" I said a little excited.

"Yup. Plan is to have you taken out of here and shown around by Enterprise, might even be introduced to some of the other girls."

"B-But... but what will I wear? Certainly this is not appropriate?" I asked gesturing to the thin gown I was wearing.

"Oh, most definitely not. No need to worry though. We got a call earlier that your uniform has finally been prepared for you and that it would arrive at around seven thirty, you'll have it then."

"Really? What time is it now."

"Five twenty in the morning and a beautiful morning it is." She said finishing off the last blind allowing every window in the room to show off the radiant sunrise shining off in the distance.

"I'll be off then, anything you need from me?"

"Nothing for right now, maybe a glass of water if you would be so kind."

"I'll get right on it." She said and walked out of the room.

I observed the door for a few moments before looking down at the woman sleeping next to me who appeared to be in desperate need of a shower as evident by her tangled white hair which was hidden by the blanket she clutched over her face, so was I on a second glance.