Into the Lake

Lana, Barnaby, and Ben reviewed the bubble-head charm, and it worked a treat. They could all cast the spell perfectly, even Barnaby! They made the decision to enter the lake and scope it out as soon as they could, so that's where they ended up - on the lakeshore, ready to dive in.

Ben had gone off to stake out the perimeter of the lake to see if he could find any signs/clues of the mysterious flier that had been spotted flying above the lake. Meanwhile, Lana and Barnaby were left by themselves as they waited.

"Are you scared?" Barnaby asked the brunette, noticing how she was anxiously chewing on her nail.

"A little, I guess. It's just I've never done anything like this - diving into the black lake with only a bubble preventing me from drowning, I mean." she said.

"Hey, it's gonna be alright." Barnaby cooed, wrapping his arms around her, "Ben and I are here for you, and I promise we won't let anything happen to you down there. Plus, you casted that charm with no problems at all! You'll be fine, love." he smiled, earning a smile from her as she looked up at him.

"Thank you, Barny." she said, reaching on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek, "I'm sorry for stressing out - it's all happening at once, you know? But I agree - we'll be ok. We'll be ok..." she repeated, trying to reassure herself.

"I've looked everywhere...no sign of that mystery person who's been dive-bombing the black lake." Ben called as he walked back over to the couple, Barnaby pulling Lana protectively into his side.

"Which means the coast is as clear as it's gonna get for now." Lana responded.

"Then this is it...time for Lana to finally enter the black lake to search for clues to the final vault. But are we sure the vault's actually down there?" Barnaby asked.

"We can't be positive. That's why I'm entering the water. But there were several clues that led us to search here." Lana told him.

"Perhaps we should review them so you know what to look for once you're beneath the surface, Lana." Ben advised, and they began discussing the clues they'd found in the past.

"It definitely sounds like all the signs point to the final vault being beneath the surface of the black lake." Lana said after they'd finished talking.

"And the trident found in the last cursed vault would be an excellent clue if we could connect it further..." Ben added, "But if what Hagrid says is true, you'll most likely encounter hostile grindylows."

"And maybe even skittish merpeople. I know I'd certainly be touchy if grindylows had been harassing me." Barnaby chimed in.

"Clearly there's plenty to be concerned about..." Lana said, anxiety washing over her as she thought about all of the possibilities in which she could be hurt.

"But what are you most worried about after entering the lake, Lana?" Ben inquired.

"Well...the angry grindylows sound horrible. I don't wanna run into them." Lana worried, Barnaby pulling her into his side as he noticed her anxious expression, "But finding the last vault is too important to back out now."

"Especially with the statue curse still wreaking havoc back at school." Barnaby said, running his hand up and down her arm to calm her.

"Still, if I can avoid the wrath of a school of bothersome magical underwater creatures, I will!"

"You're certainly brave, Lana!" Barnaby smiled, dropping a kiss to the top of her head.

"Still, are you sure I shouldn't come with you as back up? I know the bubble-head charm as well..." Ben offered.