Chapter 2

You woke from your alarm for another school day. You opened your eyes which immediately stung. Your body wished for more sleep but you forced yourself out of the bed, needing to get up. You had been revising late into the night, trying to push everything in your head which just was refusing to stick.

The cold hit you and you shivered, quickly pulling your uniform on and doing your hair, making sure you looked at least slightly presentable for the day ahead which you had been dreading, causing you to stay up later and later, your nose pressed to the book of potions.

Leaving the room you went down to breakfast, flashcards in your hand, ready to revise over breakfast. You decided to go the long way, wishing not to bump into a certain group of Gryffindors who seemed to enjoy laughing at you. Reaching the stairs you slowly went down it as you whipped your eyes, trying to wake up properly so you could at least try the day ahead.

Reaching the Great hall you sat, happy that you had not run into the group of Gryffindors. Picking up some coffee you downed it, 'maybe stimulants would keep you awake' you thought, placing the coffee cup down, refilling it and taking some food. Slowly you went through the flashcards, trying your best to remember each piece of information. Getting to the end of the pack you realised you only answered 40% of the questions right which meant you put your head in your hands, ashamed that you could not at least get 50%. Standing you scooped the cards with you and shoved them in your pocket, not wanting to spend another second in the Great Hall.

You sighed, trying to hold back your stressed tears as you left and went to get your things for potions. Today you were getting back your first important assignment of the year and you were dreading it. You had got back your DADA scores yesterday to find a C on your paper and a sad look from your professor.

Slowly you walked to the dungeons and stood outside, alone. You were five minutes early and hugged your books close to your chest as the hallway slowly filled with your class, all happily chatting about the assignment they would be getting back. Your heart sank at this and further sank when the door opened and you all filled in, sitting in your regular seats.

You watched as Professor Snape slowly stood and placed down everyone's papers, talking about how they did. Most had done well, Snape only having a few things to say bad until he came to you. Snape placed the parchment on the desk. "What a failure" he mused, not even taking pity on you as he carried on humiliating you. "Have you been drinking Superlative Rat Tonic instead of water this past Summer (l/n)? D"

You put your head down as Snape carried on going around the room until satisfied with the amount of bullying he had done and sat back down, looking at the worried class. "I expected more from all of you, especially you (l/n)" he said, picking on you again. "I want you to in your own time redo this paper and it had better be an improvement or you will have detention to redo what you must have not learned last year"

The class nodded and the lesson started properly. You were already sick of today and sick of everything. How did you get a D? You just sank further into the seat, trying to take notes and memorise them. Why was this happening to you? You had done so much work for each of your classes, revised and revised over the school holiday, yet you were behind. Your mind was being like a sieve, all the knowledge falling out of your ears. You sighed, just wanting to go back to your bed and curl up under the blankets.

Finally, the lesson was over and you picked up your things and the paper, following the students out of the classroom. It was break time and then you had a free study period and then you had music, you had chose music as you decided you needed at least one subject which was not exam based, you thanked your past self for this as you walked toward your room and collapsed on the bed, giving out a long groan.

"That test was pretty brutal" your dorm mate Kai said.

You looked around at Kai who looked through their work and placed it down on their own bed. You nodded as Kai sorted through their work and stood up.

"I will see you later (y/n)" they said as a parting farewell and left the now empty room. You huffed, there was nothing for Kai to complain about, seeing as they got a B on the test. What was wrong with you? Why was nothing sticking?

After laying in your bed for a while you finally got up and looked through the papers which you had been trying not to think about. When you first went through your DADA paper, your teacher had been lenient with marks, writing comments like "Close!" and "Needs more explanation". You were glad of this, giving you a small bit of happiness as you finished reading through the paper. Now your potions exam to go through. After looking at it for a little while, as the D scrawled into the parchment, you finally picked it up and opened it.

The Potions exam was marked very differently from the DADA exam, Snape had taken all the chances to drop your marks and he left no comments for you to read, except from crosses and a couple of ticks. You put your head in your hands and read Snape's final verdict.

"Terrible effort. It is like you had not revised at all. I would have given you a D- but I do not want my teaching record to see that I have complete imbeciles in my classroom." you started to tear up as you carried on reading his scathing comments. "If you ever want to pass potions you had better start revising, quick"

Your eyes were now full of tears and you whipped them away, you were angry at yourself and at Snape for not being nicer, how dare he think you hadn't revised? You had worked your ass off over the Summer. You scoffed, no revising indeed, he didn't know half of it.

You stood from the bed and left your dorm, you needed some fresh air, maybe that would help to revise. Slowly you walked up the stairs and out into the courtyard, walking toward the grass. You passed first-year students complaining about their exams and you rolled your eyes, scoffing slightly as you reached a tree and sat against it. Taking out your flashcards you went through them again. You found you remembered more of the information, only forgetting the information on 26% of the cards. That was still a lot you thought and put your head in your hands, pushing away tears that threatened to start. You had to get your head into the game you thought of as you took out your music player from your pocket and leaned back into the tree, listening to some music which would help you relax slightly and forget about your problems for only a little bit.