Chapter 5

You woke, your head aching from lack of sleep and looked around. None was there and sunlight shone through the glass. You opened your eyes in worry, you had overslept. Quickly you got up, thanking that you were in your uniform. Quickly you fixed your hair, grabbed your timetable and looked at it, praying for a free or a nice lesson. Your face fell as you read potions and your eyes widened, terrified that you were 20 minutes late.

You bounded out of your dorm and into the corridor, sprinting as fast as you could go down the stairs and towards the dungeons. You passed none, thankfully and you got to your lesson in quick time. You stopped to catch your breath outside the potions classroom, doubling down as you breathe heavily.

"It is such a joy you could grace us with your presence (l/n)" you heard Snape say. You jumped, looking up to see the door open and Snape standing there with a raised eyebrow.

"I am sorry sir" you said, brushing some of your hair back which had fallen out of place. "I overslept"

Snape rolled his eyes. "No excuse, see me after class" he ordered and let you into the classroom. You sat heavily, thankful that no house points had been taken off, but your heart beating that you would have to talk to Snape at the end of the class.

Potions went slowly like all your lessons, you were learning the uses of Aconite, which was a purple-flowered plant that was used in potions such as wolfsbane, pain-relief and poisons. You found the lesson interesting and made as many notes as possible, even making a semi-decent drawing of the flower which was on the board in chalk. You wondered if Severus had drawn it, if he had then your professor was hiding a hidden talent of being able to draw.

The lesson dragged to a halt and you stayed behind, standing behind your seat and slightly watching Severus who sat at his desk, doing work. When everyone left he spoke, not looking up from his work. "I will forgive your little mistake this time (l/n)" he said. "However if you are late to my class again I will have to take house points."

"I understand" you said quietly.

"You slept through breakfast, correct?" he asked, standing and placing his grey and black quill into the ink pot.

"I did" you said, slightly biting your lip as Snape looked into a drawer.

"I am not feeding you again, understand?" he said seriously, walking over and placing down a pastry.

"Perfectly" you said, taking it up in your hands.

"Now get out of here" he said in a nice tone.

You nodded and quickly left, starting to eat the food which Snape had provided. It was weird how your professor, who had seemed to hate you since you joined the school, was showing more kindness than he had shown anyone else. You wondered why as you walked toward your next lesson, taking care to avoid your bullies which you noticed up the hallway. You found it pathetic that you were still being bullied, however, you were too worried to stand up for yourself and your bullies knew it. They were a group of Gryffindors who had always picked on you for your clothes, hair, books and anything else which seemed different.

You took another route, going outside into the grassy courtyard and back in at the other side, completely getting out of their way which allowed you to get to your next lesson without the hassle of any weird Gryffindors.

By the time the day was over you felt better, classes were back to teaching without tests and you felt more relaxed, but still worried that you were behind, making sure you would revise as much as possible.

You entered the great hall and sat, taking up some food and eating the dinner which had been provided. You took out some revision cards and began flipping through them, taking time to memorise them as much as you could, however, this got you into a tizz, managing to forget half of the information you had written down.

You felt someone's presence behind you and turned, seeing the black cloak of Snape who took the flashcards from your hand and flicked through them. "Focus on eating" he commanded "Revise later"

"Oh" you murmured, watching Snape stand and walk away, the flashcards laying on the table. You started to eat, not looking at the flashcards, instead, watching Snape as he took his seat at the teacher's table and began to talk with McGonagall.

"What was that?" you thought to yourself, it was another example of Snape being strangely kind by stopping you revise and take some time for yourself. It was odd that Snape was seeming to care for you and you decided that you would get to the bottom of his reasons. Maybe he found you attractive, you highly doubted that as he was a teacher, maybe he cared for you, but again he had never cared for any of his students before, maybe he knew something about you, it was odd because there was nothing to know. Questions swirled in your mind as you finished eating and stood, walking out of the great hall and to the library where you would start revision for that evening.