Chapter 1 - Genesis

Genesis/ˈjenəsəs/ - (n) the origin or mode of formation of something

"Schwester!"

In the open hall paths of the Sohma main estate, a short boy with blond curly hair and a bright smile ran up to a young woman who shared similar features with the small teen. Her long blond hair flew up when she turned her head swiftly in time to see her little brother hug her from the side. She smiled gently and her hazel eyes curved up as she pet his fluffy hair. But the wrinkle of paper caught her attention and her eyes drifted to the thing in his hand.

"Momiji? What do you have in your hand?" She asks, curious about how he had obtained that piece of colored paper.

At her question, his smile widens, if that was even possible. Momiji brings up the cute flyer with dolphins and balloons in the background, the paper serving its purpose of looking intriguing to people who would come across it. Her eyes scan across the words. It seems that the flyer was announcing how there would be a cultural festival happening in Kaibara High School.

How nostalgic. The hazel eyed woman remembered her own festivals when she was still a student. But then she remembered the troubles a certain white-haired male had caused for not only her, and so her memory soured. Her facial features remained unphased except for the smile on her lips.

Momiji was looking at her with hopeful eyes, they were practically sparkling at this point. He looked like he had something he wanted to say though.

"Momiji, is there something else you want to tell me?"

The excitement in his chest seemed to almost burst. He knew that his sister would love Tohru, she seemed like a very nice girl that would get along with her.

He nods vigorously before answering. "I met Tohru! At papa's building!"

This takes her back slightly, her eyebrows raising. Why would the commonly mentioned girl within the zodiac be at their father's building?

She bends down to his level and cups his face, circling his cheeks with her thumb. "Oh? What was she like in person?"

He raises his arms and exclaims cheerfully, "Sehr hübsch!"

His older sister smiles at this. Momiji was very good in his judgement of a person's character, so if his first impression was to say that she was pretty, there must be no doubt that Tohru is a wonderful person. His small hands go over her own on his cheeks, keeping them there and enjoying the warmth. "I'm sure Schwester will like Tohru."

"I'm sure I will."

Momiji's eyes travel with her as she straightens back up before slowly lifting her hands from his face. "Momiji?"

He tilts his head to the side with a smile. "Hm?"

"Can I keep the flyer? I can take you there on the day of the festival," she says, pointing at the piece of paper.

He nods with a closed eye smile, handing it over to place it in her hands. It seems like his hope of his sister going outside more might be coming true. For most of her life, she had been holed up in the Sohma compound. The only times he's seen her leave out the front doors before was to go check up on Shigure and Yuki. And she hasn't even been doing that recently, especially since Tohru came into their lives.

After receiving a ruffle on his hair from her, he heads back to his own residence inside the compound, waving goodbye to his older sister. She waves back, a smile on her face at his happy demeanor. A small chuckle bubbles out of her as she examines the flyer more closely. Since when has Momiji been this excited?

Turning her body, she continues on her way to her designated room inside the main house. She slides open the shoji door to her room and sets down the flyer on the desk. Thinking about how she would get Akito to agree to this, her head started to ache. How would Akito react to her request of letting her go off to the cultural festival with Momiji? What drastic measures would Akito require in order for them to go out just one day?