Chapter 2 - Lassitude

Lassitude/ˈlasəˌt(y)o͞od/ - (n) a state of physical or mental weariness; lack of energy

Once they get back to the Sohma estate, the three of them part in different directions, Momiji to his residence, Hatori to his office, and Mayumi to her own room in the main house.

She decides to head to the showers first, it was a habit of hers to always go clean herself after coming back from the outside world. After drying off her hair, the blond strands flow down her back like liquid gold. She comes out in her purple, long sleeved sleeping gown, but right as she steps out, she bumps into something, stumbling back a couple steps before an arm wraps around her waist to prevent her from falling on the wooden floor. Opening her hazel colored eyes, she's met with brown ones, gazing at her with warmth. "Kureno?"

He gives her a smile and lifts her up straight, arms going around her middle and resting his chin on her shoulder. Her arms lift to wrap around his neck, one of her hands running through his soft brown hair. "Where did you go today? If you're coming out of the showers at this time, that means you must've gone outside."

Mayumi lets out a chuckle. "As sharp as ever, Kureno. I took Momiji and Hatori to Kaibara High School for their culture festival. We saw Yuki, Kyo, and Honda Tohru."

At the mention of that particular name, Kureno tightened his hold on her. He mumbles into her shoulder. Mayumi had no idea what he said and laughed softly at his behavior. "What are you saying, Kureno?"

He lifts his head to look into her eyes and their arms move away so that he was now clasping her hands together. "Has Akito said anything?"

At his question, the light in her eyes dims a little. She shakes her head and avoids his gaze. That's what she was avoiding, cognizant of Akito's impulsive and spontaneous outbursts. She's experienced enough of those to be apprehensive about the head of the family. Even though she was the closest person to Akito because of the unconditional love that she gave and her capability to bring Akito back to sanity calmly, there was still that twinge of fear, anticipating when the next tantrum would appear in front of her.

Kureno was also well too aware of what happens and he hated how she was the only person that Akito would subject this continuous mental torture to. After all, she is the only person who has been able to withstand the abhorrent pressure placed onto her shoulders. Now, it's just a matter of how long she can hold out. He lets go of her hands and cups her face, forcing her to meet his eyes. But the look in her eyes is heartbreaking, she seems to be close to her wit's end, the hazel eyes he loves the most, swimming with unshed tears. Nearly 20 long years, it seems that they've been living in this ongoing hell.

He leans down, pressing a kiss against her soft lips. Shutting their eyes, tears escape from a pair, the salty liquid running down her cheeks. Kureno tilts their heads, deepening and prolonging the kiss before they both slowly pull away. Opening their eyes slightly, they look at each other. He uses his thumbs to wipe away the trails that the tears left on her cheeks and he places his forehead against hers. Speaking in a soft, softer than usual voice, Mayumi asks him, "Kureno... how much longer do we have to endure?"

He doesn't answer. He can't because he doesn't have one. None of them do.

Later, Akito had requested Mayumi to visit

Later, Akito had requested Mayumi to visit. They were seated on the floor, looking out at the scenery beyond the open doors. Mayumi was sitting against the door frame with Akito leaning against her body. Akito could hear the lulling rhythm of her heartbeat and with Mayumi stroking the short dark strands,  Akito was close to being soothed to sleep. Sometimes, Akito wouldn't go to sleep unless Mayumi was there, just like tonight. The lone wick was burning brightly, casting their shadows across the wood floor. Hearing the familiar footsteps, they don't bother turning their heads.

"How are you feeling?" The sound of the shoji door closing is heard, the slight movement causing the small flame to flicker. "Yuki and Kyo have started getting happier since Tohru came." Shigure kneels down while talking, watching the two. "I hope things continue in a positive direction. I assume your real goal is for this to fail, but you're out of luck... because Tohru-kun is a far better person than you are."

Akito continues gazing out the open door with a ghost of a smirk, not even sparing Shigure a glance. Mayumi's eyes trail over to him, seeing the dark glint dancing in his grey orbs. "I already know I always ask for the moon." The words tumble out from Akito's mouth naturally, this fact already known. At Akito's acknowledgement of this specific trait, Shigure's face shifts into something sinister, the shadow darkening over his face. At that moment, Mayumi had never seen Shigure's eyes turn darker. This particular expression is the one that Mayumi sees in her nightmares. For it was the one in her view when her world had come crashing down.