Chapter 9 - Indoctrinate

Indoctrinate /inˈdäktrəˌnāt/ - to persuade people to believe without questioning or critical thinking

Inside a gazebo by the beach, Shigure was reading a book he had brought with him on their summer outing. In the middle of indulging in his quiet and peaceful activity, a pair of footsteps makes him look up, spotting the tall figure. "Mend your ways already and stop causing trouble for others." Hatori stands over him, a hand on his hip.

"Wow, Haa-san! I didn't think you'd actually come." Shigure's voice is cheerful, seeing his friend.

Hatori's head dips down, closing his eyes in annoyance. "Nonsense. You put needless ideas into Akito's head. Don't get carried away with your jokes..." Something spins in his grasp before he grips the object firmly in his right hand. The scalpel glints menacingly and Shigure jolts. "Geh--"

"... or else I'll slice your gut open," Hatori threatens him, tired of his spiteful antics. Shigure shuts his book and looks away. "Eh~ What are you talking about?" His demeanor then shifts, his playful side eliminated as he glances back at the dragon zodiac. "So Akito's here?"

"Why else would I be here?" Hatori asks rhetorically, irritated.

"Ah, that's right. Akito would bring you, since you're the favorite," Shigure muses, his jealousy spilling into his tone.

"I'm not the only one."

As Yuki walks along the coastal road, his dipped head raises once he catches sight of two familiar people looking at him. Kureno and Mayumi were standing side by side, a black jacket hanging from her arm. The breeze ruffles her knee length violet dress, the long open sleeves flowing like her long blond hair. Kureno's hair also shifted with the movement of the wind and he was dressed in his typical attire, a gray long sleeved dress shirt tucked into black slacks and black dress shoes.

Yuki is evidently surprised at this sight. "Huh? Yumi-nee? Kureno?" The two of them weren't seen very often in the Sohma compound and seeing them outside in public was something akin to an anomaly. His initial surprise turns into confusion and curiosity at their presence in the same relative area. "What are you two doing here?"

The two of them silently turn their heads at the same time, looking forward. Yuki follows their line of sight, and then he sees Akito resting on the concrete structures that act as a barrier from the open sea to the land.

Shigure scoffs, standing up and walking away a few steps. "Goodness. I didn't think Akito would bring Mayumi and Kureno-kun, too." Hatori turns his body a little, looking at Shigure with narrowed eyes that are shadowed over and a slight scowl on his face. "You should be kinder to Yuki, Kyo, and Honda-kun. Don't forcibly stir things up. Things will become twisted."

Shigure closes his eyes, tipping his head down before flicking his head back at him, a dark look in his gray orbs. "Twisted? We can't become more twisted than we are already. So I'd rather have Akito stir things up. Or else I'll never get what I want."

Akito turns around from his spot, looking at the person who just arrived. "Hey, Yuki. You're alone, as usual. You're such a lonely child." He steps back onto the rough texture of the pavement, scuffing his feet a little. Akito walks over to Yuki, a malicious smirk playing on his lips.

"Haa-san! We're here!" Shigure announces as he enters the annex. Hatori steps into the room, asking, "Where's Honda-kun?"
"She stayed at home. Everyone entered through the main entrance." Shigure looks in a certain direction, prompting Hatori to do the same. "Akito-san's inside?"
"Akito just got back with Mayumi and Kureno and is in a bad mood from the heat," he informs the yukata clad man, who steps up onto the floor, padding through the tatami flooring of the halls.