2. Simulation

MIRA

It was a perfect comic-book situation. Bank robbery, guys in ski-masks with guns. No super-villains, no powers. A simple and remarkably common problem.

We crouched behind decorative potted plants on shelves over the main area of the bank. On the ground, painted gold because why not, all of the customers and tellers were on the floor, the robbers in ski masks waving their guns around carelessly, like morons.

It was the perfect test for our powers. I looked to Ryder. We weren't wearing masks, or even our costumes. Those were still being designed.

I could see every detail of his face. The little cells opening and closing to receive air, observing the minuscule ways a heartbeat changed his coloring— all unnoticeable to the casual viewer.

"What should we do?"

I could hear Saige behind me, and my eyes flicked to her and her white-blonde braids, mostly out of habit, returning to Ryder before he could even notice.

"They've got guns, so we can't just go rushing in there," he said. "And Aleister can't shield all of them— probably only one or two of us."

"Depends on which two," Aleister said, his gray eyes starkly bright against his olive skin. Some said they were unblinking, but I always saw it. "You and Verity, definitely. But if it's Mira, I can't keep a shield on her, you know that."

I could see it— we were losing time. I didn't need to look to either watch on my arm to know that. The air felt thicker and thicker, threatening to choke me with the absolute lack of action.

"Look, we know I can dodge bullets just fine," I reminded them.

"But Verity could levitate them—"

Verity shook her head, biting her lip. "Maybe not all of them."

"Well, we're not going to keep talking," I said. I stood up, and Ryder grabbed my arm before I could start running. "What?"

"We need to have a plan, we're being tested on our teamwork—"

"And the bank is being robbed as we speak, and they're going to get away," I reminded him. I pried his fingers off— I didn't want to hurt him. "Aleister, see if you can guard Verity long enough for her to pull off her trick— I'm gonna try to clear the room."

Then I ran, before anyone could argue with me.

It was exhilarating, like being snapped forward into the air. Everything else was slow around me as I felt the air become light, felt like light myself.

I could see the bullets— and I was faster than them, fast enough that they were easy to push out of the way, towards windows where they couldn't hurt anybody.

Slowly around me, the guns started to lift out of the robbers' hands— Verity could do it after all.

Saige leapt from her hiding place, heading towards the civilians.

I went straight for the bank vault. Yet when I hit the door, I heard a beeping from the wrist-watch on my left.

I was about to run out of energy.

I stumbled to a stop, falling flat on my face and feeling like the living dead.

I hated the aftermath of my powers.

I ducked behind a piece of decorative wall, and opened a pocket. I pulled out a high-calorie bar. Had to replenish what I took, or—

I didn't want to think about the fear at the back of my mind, all the time, and instead focused on the taste of peanut butter and protein.