12. Aftermath

MIRA

Dr. Banning sat with her head in her hands.

Director Pemberly stared at us from across the debriefing table.

It was a room in our little compound, with a black oval table, and ultraviolet lights hidden in the panel work. It was sleek and futuristic, just like the rest of the Sentinels compounds.

"For a team called the Miracle Force, you're going to need one," Pemberly finally said with a sigh. "You let two of our most wanted get away?"

A quick glance told me all I needed to know.

Verity was looking straight at the desk, and hardly moved at all. Not even in the tiny little mico-mannerisms I could see on everybody. She was as still and as silent as one of the training mannequins.

Ryder was on the edge of his seat, head in his hands. He didn't once look any of the adults in the eye

Aleister's expression was grim, anger flared in his gray eyes. His hands were curled into shaking fists in his lap.

Saige was crying and sniffling. I touched her shoulder, to try and provide some kind of reassurance. But it was like I wasn't there.

Like I was useless.

I looked away from them to meet Director Pemberley's eyes.

"It's Warlock's fault," I said, crossing my arms over my chest. "We almost had her and then he stepped in and told us to stand down—"

"Yes, that is regrettable," Director Pemberly agreed. "However, according to our security footage on your suits, it seems that the majority of the team was not where they needed to be when they needed to be."

"Where were the Elemental Defenders?" Aleister asked. "They were supposed to be on-duty, too."

"They were dealing with a traffic violation."As Director Pemberly said the words, he seemed to think better of them and looked rather embarrassed. "They still managed to prove their worth even though they arrived exactly when you did."

"I see," said Aleister.

"I know it might seem harsh, but you are the late bloomers of the group," Director Pemberly said. "You have to prove yourselves. Otherwise I will be forced to consider. . . Alternatives."

The words made me uneasy— but I had the feeling I wasn't supposed to ask. Or that I wouldn't want to know.

"No matter," Director Pemberly sighed. "I suppose we'll have to keep you out on the streets until you prove that you have talent, won't we?"

"Yes sir." Ryder looked up from his clenched fists. "We won't let you down, sir."

"See to it that you don't." Director Pemberly nodded. "Bree, make sure to assign them more training drills."

Dr. Banning lifted her head out of her hands to nod.

I'd just changed into my practice suit when Ryder approached, a strange light in his eyes.

"Want to spar?"

"When don't I?" I grinned, putting up my fists.

He took the first lunge, and I darted back, managing to land a hit on his torso.

He grabbed my wrist just as I pulled out. I kicked at his ankles, but I was stuck. He used the momentum against me, flipping me over onto the mats.

Painfully.

"Ow," I muttered as I scrambled to my feet. I then jogged back a few paces, trying to dodge the hits as Ryder tried to deal them.

I fell to the ground and kicked— sending Ryder onto the practice mats.

"Oof," he muttered as he lay there a moment.

A fear crept in, and I offered him my hand. "I didn't hurt you, did I?"

"Got me, I think there'll be bruises on my ribs," Ryder decided. He then grinned. "Nothing that the tube won't fix while we're asleep."

He then took my hand, and I helped him up.

The closeness of the two of us, the narrow physical proximity— it made me blush.

I looked around, and realized that one member of the Miracle Force was missing from our gym.

"Where's Verity?" I asked.

Ryder shrugged. "I don't know. Must have slipped off to use the bathroom or something."

I shook my head. "She pushes herself when she trains. I'm going to go look for her."

Ryder shrugged again. "Suit yourself."

He headed over to the practice dummies, and I entered the main hallway of the Miracle Force suite.

In the quiet, I could hear the hum of electricity and the click-clack of fingers on a keyboard.

I entered the leisure room. It had a wide-screen TV, a video-game system with several combat games— the excuse being that it could continue to train us for our purpose.

There was a chess game set up, and several books for us to read, as well as a computer terminal, for us to work on lessons and to explore a filtered version of the internet.

I flicked the lights on, to reveal Verity sitting there, in front of a bright screen.

She turned around, a guilty expression on her face. A heartbeat later, she turned her expression into one of relief and joy.

"Oh, hi, Mira," she said,  hastily adjusting her voice.

"Everything alright?" I frowned, stepping forward.

She closed her computer screen— I only got a quick look at the title— she was in the villain case files.

Specifically, the file of evidence against Heretic.

"Just doing some research." She tucked a strand of reddish-black hair behind her ears.

"About Heretic?"

"We lost, Mira." Verity's voice was gentle, but resolute. "And we need to do better."

"You almost beat her," I reminded her. "You held your own."

Verity shook her head, biting her lip and clenching her hands into fists.

Her dark eyes were far way again.

"No. I need to do better."

With that, she walked away.

I thought nothing of it then. But I wish I'd said more.