7. Walk

CLAIRE

"Okay, I'm going to shine a light in your eyes," the field medic said as he held up a flashlight. "Good, your pupils are normal."

He clicked it off and held up his front two fingers. "I want you to follow my fingers— but only move your eyes, not your head, alright?"

I did so— an easy task.

The medic then jotted down a few notes on his clipboard. "That's good— looks like you don't have a concussion. We'll get some bandages on your head, hands, and knees and you should be fine to leave the scene once you've spoken to the detective."

"Thank you." My voice was quiet, so I quickly repeated myself.

"It's alright." The medic smiled. "Looks like you're going to be okay, kiddo." His smile then faltered. "Other people weren't so lucky."

From the shouts I'd heard from outside of the medical tent, it sounded like Renegade was right on the nose about the consequences of Power Line's opening move in the fight. Many civilians were dead, others in serious electrical burns from touching something metal within the tram.

This was one of the most destructive acts Tenebrous had done. Even the City Hall fire, as devastating as it was, only had one casualty.

The medic then worked quickly, sanitizing the scrapes on my head, hands, and knees, and bandaging them with gauze and medical tape.

Once he was done, the detective came in. She was a tall woman, with a no-nonsense look in her eyes and her jet-black hair swept up and out of the way in an elegant hairstyle.

"I'm Detective Tran, and I was hoping you might be able to help me out by telling me exactly what happened tonight," she said, holding out a digital recorder. "The other detectives and I are working to get the clearest picture on what exactly happened tonight. Of course, I think you have some insights that others won't."

I blushed, knowing that she was referring to Renegade and Heretic holding me hostage.

"Please recite your name and phone number for the tapes, so we can locate you again if we need any follow-up information," Detective Tran ordered as she held out the microphone. "Don't worry about it— we rarely do, but it's nice to have for archival purposes."

I swallowed. "Okay. Um, Claire Browning, and—" I rattled off the phone number.

"Good. Now, Claire, can you tell us what happened this evening?"

'"Um, I had to stay late for my esports team at North Kingsbury High, and my dad couldn't drive me home form work, so I took the later tram home— I was supposed to get off at Riverview, see," I began. "I don't know how far along we were— are, I guess— but then the tram stopped and I hit my head on the pole I was holding onto. Then it was like the floor went out from under us— and I somehow fell through everyone, onto the pavement."

Now this was the part where I was going to commit perjury.

"I don't really remember what happened next," I lied. "I just know that somehow I was flat on my back, on the outside of the tram. Maybe there was a gap or something? Or maybe I just got really lucky."

"You were very lucky, Claire," Detective Tran agreed. "What did you see next?"

"Um, Tenebrous and Renegade were fighting, and then I saw Heretic, right before she put a gun to the head of that new hero, Mercury. Then the birds came, and Powerline came in and downed a power line with his electric powers, and I heard screaming and—"

I hadn't realized how quick and shallow my breathing had become until I couldn't speak anymore.

"It's alright," Detective Tran reassured me. "Take your time— we want as clear of a statement as possible."

"That's when all of the other Sentinels and Warlock joined the fight, but then the birds came. I know that's when Renegade teleported behind me and held me hostage at gunpoint with Heretic's help.

"And then he disappeared— but I don't know why or what was even the point of all of that. But that's it, so. . . Yeah."

Detective Tran turned off her audio recorder. "Thank you, Claire. Do you need for us to arrange a ride home, or-"

"No, I think I'm not too far from home, I can walk," I assured her. "Am I free to go?"

Detective Tran nodded and pulled a business card from a pocket in her flared black dress pants. "Feel free to leave a message if you remember anything else about the event or have a tip for the Kingsbury PD, alright?"

I reluctantly accepted it. "Alright."'

I then put it in my bag— never had I been so grateful for a messenger bag, as it had stayed on me the whole time— and I left the medical tent.

I immediately pulled my phone out of my pocket to get more refined directions and to put my earbuds back in. There was now a long crack down the screen and one of my earbuds was completely busted, but I knew I could go pick up a new pair at the dollar store inside of the monorail station— if it was still open tomorrow morning.

I didn't even want to think about how I'd get to school now if the monorail was out of commission.

I pulled up the directions— it wouldn't be much more than fifteen or twenty minutes on foot. We'd been so close to my stop!

It was now night time completely as I walked away from the scene of the crash.

Stupid November daylight savings.

I kicked a few rocks and debris with my sneakers as I continued out and further away from the others. Even with my favorite Don McLean song on in the background, the world was eerily quiet and I was starting to regret my decision.

After all, I had homework to do, and I'd be staying up late enough as is—-

I stopped abruptly and pulled out my busted earbud. I thought I'd heard something— but I couldn't discern anything different from the usual sounds of New Kingsbury night life.

Unnerved, I decided to keep the earbud out, and tucked it under my scarf. I kept my other earbud in, because without the power of 70s rock I was certain. I would lose all nerve completely and I had committed to walking home.

I quickened my pace, taking longer strides. I kept my head down— I refused to look at the moving shadows and the other people out on the streets because the monorail was down.

Just a few more blocks, I told myself as I confirmed that on my phone.

Still, at the edge of the city buildings and the beginning of the suburbs, there were less people— one turn and suddenly I was alone on the sidewalk, with only the city lights and the promise of the Riverview neighborhood coming up.

That's when I heard it— footsteps, right behind it. I stopped, summoning all my courage and I turned around.

Nothing. Just empty street.

I turned around and started walking— but I glanced behind myself, just to make sure.

When I looked back I saw none other than Renegade standing in front of me.